Friday, February 20, 2009

The Verdict Is In...

Ty is getting tubes! I could tell another ear infection was coming on so I begged the ENT office to move his appointment up and they fit us in this morning. The AMA suggests that children need to have 5-6 consecutive ear infections to be eligible for tubes, but since Ty is speech delayed they are willing to bend the rules. I was very impressed with the doctor who will be performing the procedure. We hope to have the surgery the first or second week of March. After the doctor evaluated Ty, he said it is likely Ty has had middle ear disease since birth and we just didn't know. There is a very good chance that this procedure will allow Ty to hear much better and that his speech will automatically improve. If not, at least we'll know we tried and we can cross it off of our list of possible explanations for his speech delay. I'm very hopeful and confident and can't wait to see (or rather hear) the results!

6 comments:

Alison said...

Yay! We love love love tubes around here.

Nash said...

i hope it work and i'm glad you are getting it figured out.
as a person who has had tubes 5 times, just be cautious. (i'm sure the procedures are better now than 17 years ago). i have PERMANENT hearing damage/loss, so much scar tissue that dr.s always freak out when they look in my ears. i still have ear issues, even as i type this. i am thinking of going in again for myself (not tubes) to see if there is anything they can do. good luck.

Rachelle said...

Carsyn had tubes and it was such a blessing. We had no problems at all. I'm curious to see what this does for Ty's speech. Good luck. We love you guys!

Kari said...

Caleb has had tubes put in twice. Its a really fast procedure. He'll come out of it kinda loopy but it'll help so much with the infections. Best of luck with the hearing! I hope it helps him all around! Is your doc Dr. Mancuso? If so, he did ours and he's great!

mad white woman said...

My cousin adopted a little boy from Russia and he had serious speech delay. Eventually he got tubes in (might have had an additional surgery too) but now, you wouldn't even know he was ever speech delayed. Hopefully that's the case with Ty too!

Nate and Amy Sorensen said...

I really hope this works for Ty! Don't forget, you have a good friend that is a speech therapist (wink wink)! Let me know if there is ever anything I can help you with!