Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Bookworm

It's 1:30 am and I can't sleep. Between a sick toddler who keeps waking up and a snoring husband (he snores when he gets a sore throat), sleep is futile. Instead of fighting a useless battle, I finished the book I got for Christmas, The Secret Life of Bees. I really enjoyed it. The book I read prior to that was The Hunger Games. Loved that. Can't wait for the sequel. (You MUST read it.)

Now that Brooke is starting to sleep through the night, so will I (once everyone is well), and I can't wait to get back into some of my favorite hobbies. I even whipped out my sewing machine for a few hours this week. As far as reading goes, I've decided to alternate between newer novels and classics, though part of me has the itch to re-read some of my old favorites. I 'd love to know what your all time favorite book is, classic or not. I've been perusing some lists of must-reads, but I want to make a list of my own. Go ahead, leave me your suggestion. And in case you cared, my two favorite books that are not part of a series are The Alchemist and Atlas Shrugged. The first is short, but very profound. I've bought several copies, but don't have one in my possession because I'm always loaning them out. The latter is quite an undertaking, but I find Ayn Rand captivating. If you read about her past, you'll understand why her books are so political.

Here are a few of the lists I've referenced for a good read, though there top choices are not always my own:
Harvard's Top 100
The Modern Library
Time Magazine's Top 100

Can't wait to hear your favorites...Happy Reading!

11 comments:

Jennie said...

It's a series, but I LOVE them. "Children of the Promise", by Dean Hughes. They're in the library there in Mesa (Main). They're a historical fiction set of books about an LDS family that goes through WWII. So good, couldn't put them down and then I read the sequel series called, "Hearts of the Children" which is during the Vietnam war time period.

WOW, they taught me so much about what life was like during that time I kept finding myself thinking about those characters as if they were real people.

the Painters said...

I rally enjoy a good People magazine or US weekly....jk. Cather in the Rye is my alltime fav.

the Painters said...

CATCHER I mean

Marily said...

Thanks for the post, it got me thinking about doing some reading, something I haven't done in a while. A good quick read is C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce.

Christie said...

My fav all time book is The Shadow of the Wind (Spanish: La sombra del viento) is a 2001 novel by Spanish writer Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Best book I ever read. Although Harry potter always has a special place in my heart, the last one was the best. But I know you have already ready those :)

Connie said...

Hey Rachel! I'm not sure how I got here, but I'm glad I did! It's great to see you & your cute family.

I was wondering...I've been wanting a super cute/practical apron for some time now and since my birthday is coming up, that's what I want! PLEASE stop by my blog & let me know where I can get my hands on a good one! http://azreesefamily.blogspot.com/ Look forward to hearing from you! Thanks!! :) ~Connie (Morris)

Crystal said...

Hey Rachel. I too alternate between classic and modern fiction. I recently read "Vanity Fair" and really liked it. Also love everything by the Bronte sisters. Modern, I LOVE Margaret Atwood. My fav book of hers is "Cat's Eye," probably because I read it first, but you should check out "Alias Grace" or "The Blind Assassin" or "The Handmaid's Tale." Also love modern memoirs, like Laurie Notaro (who's not only hilarious but is from Phoenix!), Sloane Crosley, and Haven Kimmel.

Good luck!

Nancy Pitney said...

I'm sure you could just get this info from my blog, but there are so many books I love I couldn't possibly list all my favorites. It totally depends on what kind of mood you're in. If you want an interesting one try "Mutant Message from Down Under" (a lady lives with aborigines in Australia for a while). If you want one that makes you think try "the Power of One" or "Poisonwood Bible" (both set in Africa). I just got "Rebecca", a classic, and I'm excited to read it because I don't know anything about it. Good luck!

mad white woman said...

I have loved The Hiding Place (Corrie Tenboom) since I read it 15 years ago. Then I didn't read for about ten years. But I love Shanon Hale because they are easy reads and entertaining. I use reading to relax and some books take too much brain power. :)

The Book Theif is waiting on my shelf for me to read. Two of my sisters say it's absolutely fantastic.

Tessa said...

East of Eden by John Steinbeck is my favorite. Talk about quite the undertaking but all worth it in the end. I dont think I have ever felt the sense of accomplishment that I did when I finished that book. I just began again.

The alchemist is one of my favorites as well.

Jill Manning said...

Book Two for Hunger Games is coming out in Sept of 2009, can't wait!!! THought I would share to give you something to look forward too. I think you know my all time favorite books: Peter Pan, Little Women. I really liked The Prestige (Maren has a copy if you are interested). I'm reading Gone With The Wind right now and I have a love/hate relationship with it but I have to finish it, its not in me not to finish a book. Oh, and anything by Alexandre Dumas, I love him.