Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bitter, Party of One

Did I mention he's obsessed with cars?

So normally I like to blog about the good stuff in life. Those are the things I want to remember most anyway. But today there is a little bit of venting mixed in. Bypass the post if you're not up for a little whining.

The Good News...


We scheduled Ty's procedure to get tubes for March 9th.

The Bad News...

Our insurance won't help us pay because it's a "pre-existing condition". Awesome. Don't worry, they're hearing from me. (Funny that even though my husband is a health care provider our insurance still stinks like everyone elses. Oh, except if you're on the government's dime.)

The Other Bad News...

In an effort to balance the budget, Governor Brewer cut funding for early childhood intervention programs for kids ages 0-3. We'll be lucky to keep our therapists through the end of March, if that. Fantastic. You see, even if the tubes work, Ty still has catching up to do. I'm angry for me, for Ty, but even more upset for kids who have more severe needs than he does.

So seriously? Millions of Americans bought homes they knew they couldn't really afford, but gave themselves permission to do so because the bank said they could, and now they're going to get help from the government, get welfare services, etc... and my little boy can't get an hour of therapy a week? (I realize there are extenuating circumstances for some people.) Really?

Lets get back to the good news...

Ty's getting tubes, it will be worth the cost, hands down.

12 comments:

Jennie said...

We're a government riding family and have been for the past 3 years. Please don't hate me! We figure that we've paid for these services as being tax payers for the years before med school and will continue to pay for the years after Trevor's earning a paycheck. We'll pay back what we've been blessed with from the govt.

But that does really stink about cutting the program that Ty uses! And I hate when insurance says, "pre-existing condition". Jerks.

PS. Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. You made my day. I pray that you'll be blessed to not only pay for Ty's med costs, but for helping him with the therapy he needs.

Jamie said...

What a great picture of Ty. Luckily Ty has a great mom like you who will get him his tubes no matter what. What a blessing for him. Just have faith that things will work out and Ty will get the care he needs. :)

The Blakes said...

Oh Jennie, you're so kind. You guys are in school - kind of a different situation than those whose eyes were bigger than their stomachs. No ill feelings at all for you, just looking out for my kid!

Nash said...

oh rach.
i love complaining. Sad but true!
i am the QUEEN.
it's a problem.
so if you ever need to vent.
my door is OPEN!

hope it works out.
mary davis is a speech therapist (wes sister). wonder if someone would volunteer.

mad white woman said...

Seriously, that's irritating. I feel the same way. Well not really because my feelings involve mostly financial emotions, not emotions of a child in Ty's situation, but I feel irritated nonetheless. I've sacrificed so much and worked so hard to stay current on our mortgages and the government is helping people who just tried to maintain their lifstyle and got behind... I know that's not everyone, but I'd boldly say it's a good portion of those people getting help.

I hope things work out one way or the other!

the Painters said...

I also hate the term "pre-existing" conditions. I mean, COME ON! every condition is pre existing....what do they think the second a child wakes up with speech difficulties, they're going to get rushed right into an audiologists office? Unless a condition is treated the day of, it's a pre-existing condition!!! Makes me mad. The whole health care world makes me mad. You are a wonderful mother to do it anyways and use your money and I am soooo sorry you have to do that Rachel. So sorry. I feel for you guys. I am on your side.

Pace & Gwen said...

Oh, the phrase that came to my mind is the "official definition" of HMO's as stated by Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets. Too explicit to repeat... Sorry, Rachel.

Summer said...

you decided to post your rotten day anyway! good for you! don't let the man get you down! call me anytime you want to vent! or just come over and hang out for a few hours. we will bake calorie-ridden treats and drown our sorrows. or at least try while getting the instant gratification from our sugar rush!

The MacMizzles said...

Awww Rach, I feel every ounce of your pain, and think Ty is one lucky kid to have you as a mom. :)

Sarah Williams said...

i just thought, he's lucky your his mom. your smart enough to do all the research you need to, to help him yourself. true- it is sad about those families in lots worse situations maybe w/ teenage moms who aren't as bright. USA will suffer! i love complaining too- its good to see everyones life isn't perfect.

Cara Fish said...

Rach, I'm so sorry. Things are sucking all over - I'm sorry that it is affecting you and sweet Ty. We'll keep you in our prayers. Good luck with all of it!

Stacey said...

After Jace got his tubes, it made a WORLD of difference!!! I only wish we had done it sooner. Camden has already had 2 infections now and I'm already contemplating the tubes. Jace was happier, slept better, talked better and ate better. Hope everything goes well.