Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine Cake Pops

I've been anxious to try Bakerella's cake pops for a while now and I finally did it! After much guidance from my friends Christie and Anna, who have both made them beautifully, I am pleased with how they turned out on my first attempt, though they are far from perfect. I wanted to practice so I can make them for Ty's birthday next month.

I baked and rolled the cake on Sunday and stuck them in the freezer.

Tuesday I unsuccessfully tried dipping a few using the double boiler method. It's just not my thing.

Today I used the microwave and it went very smoothly...literally!

It was so inexpensive. I used a cake mix and frosting from food storage and had the pink candy melts on hand. All I had to get were the lollipop sticks and the candy bags. I wanted to splurge on the edible pens for decorating, but not this time. I just used sprinkles I already had in the cupboard.

The Pink Batch


The Red Batch

Wrapped and ready to deliver to Trent's office.

P.S. Happy Birthday Nichol! You're the best sister anyone could ask for and my best friend!

10 comments:

Nash said...

Rachel,
see you need to come hang with me.
i made those for my girls bday last year.
the almond bark is the way to go, it melts so easily.
i tried using white chocolate for a recipe at christmas over a double boiler and it was CRAP. i had to add oil to it. it was such a mess.
those looks really cute. the mom's at my party raved about them and i hadn't tasted them so i was shocked they were so yummy.
way to go martha. i love bakerella by the way, she makes some hard things though.

Beka said...

mmmmm... those look perfect and delicious:)

The Arizona Blake Family said...

Those are so cute! I want to eat one!

Courtney said...

I love those things...I want to eat about 20.

Christie said...

You did an awesome job! The balls are perfectly round and the chocolate is perfectly smooth and the sprinkles are perfectly applied. I'd say they are perfect! I could learn a thing or two or lots from you. Mine were lumpy all the way around. I'm sure everyone at Trent's work will love them.

Nancy Pitney said...

So is this what stay at home moms do? I'm starting to feel like I may not want to stay home if this is what is expected!! First, you sew all your own aprons, and now you make these gourmet treats! What next?! Martha Stewart watch out! :-)

mad white woman said...

What are you talking about? I think those turned out great. The chocolate looks super smooth.

By the way, I think I rolled my balls too big when I did it, which was part of my problem.

Jill Manning said...

I feel so lucky to have received one of these delicious cake pops, they are sooooo yummy!!! Thanks for the Valentine, it totally made my day!

Cara Fish said...

So cute! I hate that you are way way way cuter than me!

Melissa said...

I loved my cake pop, so yummy! Even sweeter - you - for thinking of me, thx.