Sometimes prayers are answered in funny ways...
Let me back up a little.
In October of last year, Ty was evaluated by the state and determined to be developmentally delayed. We knew he was behind in his speech, but he also qualified for developmental therapy to improve his cognitive skills. Though he is behind in some cognitive areas, mostly communication, he is leaps and bounds ahead of schedule in motor skills and physical abilities. We had to wait over a month to find a speech therapist who had an opening, but now we've had sessions for nearly two months.
A lot of emotions go through your mind when someone tells you your child is not typical. Mostly we've had more questions than answers. We are not certain if this is a phase that will be remedied with speech therapy, or if he will have this trial all of his life. Either way, I can hardly type this without feeling overwhelming gratitude for having him in my life. I occasionally see the looks on other mom's faces when they see my son have a tantrum, or ooze with energy that is nearly impossible for him to contain (both usually the result of trying to communicate how he's feeling). Perhaps enduring those looks is my trial. I wouldn't trade him for anything. He is such a sweet boy and I'm lucky to be his mommy.
Fast forward.
Yesterday Ty and I were having a stand off. He wouldn't eat his lunch and I knew he needed something in his belly. I laid out a few options on his tray and waited. For nearly 45 minutes. He finally caved and ate all of his sandwich. Before cleaning off his tray, I offered some of the other options one more time. He shook his head and said, "NO!" very adamantly. I was elated. He said a new word. Now we can add this to our short, but important list of words he does say. I realize "no" is not the ideal word to add to a small vocabulary, but progress is progress. I'm still waiting to be called mama...
Today Miss Maren let Ty come to preschool for a trial run. Though he wasn't perfect, she said he could come back for the rest of the session. I wanted to hug Maren, but refrained because I was closer to tears than she probably suspected and I would have burst if I embraced her... and I wanted to keep my composure in front of the other mommies. (I'll hug you later, promise.) We are also looking into a music class and a tumbling class through Parks and Rec. The more interaction he gets, the more progress we make. (So if anyone wants to love on Brooke for a few hours a week while I take Ty to some classes, I'll make it worth your while...)
Whether this is just a temporary setback or a permanent challenge, I am already being stretched, molded and strengthened by my Heavenly Father. I have so much to be thankful for. Like a little boy who told me "no".





12 comments:
OH rachel.
Kennedy was a REALLY hard kid until about 4.
I don't think she was struggling verbally (although none of my kids talked early, they crawled and walked super early) but she was way too "spirited" as they call it.
I had her montessori teacher tell me there was a probationary period. I was like "WHAT".
anyway, i hope he can grow out of it by progressing. Of course I don't know that he's the same as Kennedy was, but I can relate somewhat. You have a great attitude.
I remember telling my mom that she really was a sweet girl (i was frustrated with the way my fam treated her at times). I felt so sad, because I loved her and didn't quite know what to do. I think she has grown out of it, but now she is starting to talk back. Hope this made sense. I've said it a hundred times but let's do something. You can come to my house and he can play and I can hold Brooke.
Hey Rachel,
First of all congrats to Ty on the new word! I can understand your struggles, my nephew has similar ones. I live really close by RMMGC and they do a lot of great kid classes that Evan did when he was younger. If you’re interested in signing him up for a class out here Cora would love to have someone to play with. AND no need to “make it worth my while,” I can relate to the position that you’re in and would love to help out.
Good Luck! And let me know.
The Other Rachel!
Motherhood teaches us so much! You have so many friends and family to lend support and you will endure. We loved having you Saturday. "Typical" 2 year olds are difficult...terrible twos. I would have never known there was more to it than that. You are doing a wonderful job.
A word is a word! Plus, I have never noticed anything unusual in Ty's behavior. I'm completely convinced that kids are all on different time tables. Some pick up some things quickly, others not so quickly. So hopefully with all the love you give him and the early intervention you're exposing him to, this will soon be something of the past.
If you do look into the RMMGC as Rachel suggested, I'm close too and I would love to watch Brooke. I promise Clara would be nice. :)
Every time I notice something on Clara (i.e. her crooked toe) I worry and wonder if our mothers examined our every nook and cranny and evaluated all our actions and progress too. If so, I never heard about it.
What a great post. I loved it, and i can't wait for the day when I get to read the post telling us all he said "mama" for the first time. I know it will come . . .
I know we don't really know each other well, but if we lived close to each other then I would totally watch Ty! I have a sister in law whose kids were all very late talkers. I'm talking like 4 years old. So try not to worry too much yet and keep doing what you are doing! You seem like a really great mom! Good luck~
That's awesome that he said a new word! I love when your child is finally able to start communicating with you! Hope the extra classes help too. I would love to "love" on B if we lived closer. ANd so would my girls. :)
Yea! He is such a great kid...and stinkin cute! I am glad you see the progress...you are so good and patient with him. Mama's coming!
i'm so happy i'm about to cry!! yay for no! it's funny but i used to read what to expect when you're expecting like a bible but the next book i've looked at a handful of times. as long as they turn out in the end who cares how they got to that point?
and what kind of mom looks at another mom when their kid is having a tantrum? of all people to have empathy for you they should be first in line. if you get their names i'll take care of them for you.
I remember getting 'the looks' a lot too. Just stick your tongue out at them! ha ha! You are an amazing person Rach. I love your outlook on everything...always positive...always for the better.
Congrats on his newest word...I bet he'll get really good at it and be saying it all the time! Know that I love you, admire you and am so thankful for the person you are and the great friend you've been to me all my life. Love you
That's great Rachel! It's so exciting to see progress. Ty is lucky to have such a wonderful mom who loves him unconditionally. You are doing a great job!
Yeah for NO!!! Way to go Ty-Man. That must have been such an amazing thing to hear as his mommy. I'm glad you are seeing progress. You are a terrific mom and he is one lucky boy to have you in his life. Hang in there and when I move back we can talk a little bit more about watching Brookey for you.
Post a Comment