Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Redefining Normal

This last month has been one big blur. I am so glad to be feeling somewhat normal and recovered physically, because I don't have any time to be sickly or feel sorry for myself. As I was taking the kids for a walk the other day, I had a conversation with myself (inside my head, of course). I told myself that teaching high school kids with attitudes and baggage was way easier than this. Motherhood is hard work. Not that I have to tell any of you readers this, you probably know for yourself. I even found myself missing work a little bit. Did I miss it because it was so fulfilling, or because it seems like a worthy escape from parenting? Then I went to visit my seniors on Friday morning, as promised earlier, and by the time I left my classrom I was ready to leave and return to my post at home. I had only been away for an hour, mind you.

So in all my grandiose visions of what stay at home momming would entail, I'm having to readjust my expectations. Cookie baking, afternoons at the park, play dates and TV free days are all still on my list of things to do. But they'll have to work their way in gradually. For now there is no real normal - we're just taking it one day at a time. And I'm finding the joy in the simple things, like a giggling little boy or a peaceful baby girl. It may not be grandiose...but it is grand!

And here are a few snapshots of the last week...

Claire invited us to her church to see the live nativity. Ty loved petting the animals.

He also loved the warm cookies they were handing out.
A feeble attempt at a Christmas picture with the kids.
Zombie dad. Mom looks even worse. (Which is why I remain out of all pictures.) He's been so good at taking turns at night with me, even though he has to go to work every morning.
Ty sporting his new sweatsuit and kicks.
A few cute shots of Brooke. She's much more alert these days.
The Pucker
one of my favorite looks

Look at those peepers. So big and beautiful.
My normal aversion to hearts and teddy bears melts away when my daughter is the model.

She is starting to smile too!

7 comments:

Linz said...

I hear you on all of that! She is definitely sweet! I love that shot of Ty eating the cookie...fabulous! And...ummm....is that a hint of red in her hair?!? Oh...I'm so jealous...I will never get a redhead baby?! Is it okay to dye your babies hair?

Jamie said...

She's awake and beautiful. I love her eyes! :)

Jennie said...

I'm glad that you've been able to do a little reality check and find joy in those simple things of motherhood. You will be able to do all of those things someday, but never all in one day! :)

I love the zombie pic, what a guy!

Love the failed Christmas picture attempt, hilarious!!

She's so bright eyed and cute smile.

mad white woman said...

It's amazing how quickly newborns change. Sheesh!

I've been wondering... what is normal?? :)

lrbodine said...

I too have to remind myself to be grateful for the small moments especially since my days rarely go as planned....

I love that pucker face she is giving! What a cutie.

Rachel said...

I'm loving that red hair!

the lambrights said...

isn't funny how much you love ruffles and lace and pink and cutesy stuff now that you have a little girl? i always found that fascinating.