Saturday, March 01, 2008

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

This week has been so hectic with AIMS testing at school and rehearsal for Women's Conference. By the time Friday night rolled around, I wasn't very excited that Trent and I were in charge of the Stewart Ward Annual Chili Cook-Off. It was just one more thing to do. But, it was so much fun! Shame on me for being such a would-be party pooper. My camera died 20 minutes into the festivities, but I caught a few shots from the evening.


We had a great turn out with 17 pots of chili in the competition and oodles of yummy cornbread. Thanks so much to my incredible Bunko sisters who came through for us with last minute food assignments (Beka, Christie, Stefanie, Stacey, Chelsea, Sarah...). It's fun events like this that remind me how grateful I am to live in such a family oriented neighborhood with an awesome ward.

I only sampled 4 or 5 different versions of chili. They were all pretty tasty, but I think I'm chili-ed out for a while.


I hardly saw Ty all night. Now that he can walk, he is always on the move. Luckily, the kids in the ward were having such a great time playing together that he joined right in. I caught him tasting a dirt clod at one point, but one of the cute beehives adopted Ty as her own and it was such a relief not to worry about him while the party was going on.


I don't think Ty has had this much fun before. He was constantly the center of somebody's attention and had more playmates than he could have asked for! I think this is why they call a ward an extension of your family. I appreciate the little things like this much more now that I'm a mother.

Women's Conference today was truly incredible. The theme was "Drop by Drop", based on the parable of the Ten Virgins. A few weeks ago I was asked to sing the song of Liraz, one of the foolish virgins. After I got bronchitis, I didn't know if I'd be able to participate, but I'm so glad I did. When I showed up to dress rehearsal, after missing every previous rehearsal, the director told me they had all been praying for me to get better. I was truly overwhelmed. Also, I thought it ironic, and humbling, that the song I sang talked about a woman who loved her Savior, but didn't make time for him because she was always so busy doing other things. As I was talking to a sister who was singing the part of another foolish virgin, we contemplated the idea that maybe we had been given these parts for a reason. I'm so thankful for the learning experience that came with something as simple as learning a song for the program. The conference took on a very personal dimension for me. When the program was over, I tried to sneak away quickly because I wept (as gracefully as possible) through the whole program. It was so touching and reminded me that I need to have a stronger sense of urgency to prepare to meet my Savior.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Thanks for that post...I think I needed you to write that for me as much as you needed to sing it for you!

Jill Manning said...

Aw man, we missed the chili cook off...last years was so fun and there is no doubt that this year was amazing seeing you and Trent were the hosts and that there were 17 different chilis...I couldn't even imagine all that deliciousness in one place!
I'm so happy that you had the chance to be a part of Women's Conference...it sounds like it was just the kind of rejuvenation that you needed after a hard month...not just physically but spiritually as well. It's amazing how Heavenly Father answers prayers!

Stacey said...

the program was incredible!!! I don't think there was a dry eye in the room. Atleast I know I cried practically the whole time. The spirit was so strong. Thanks for sharing your talents with us. you did a great job. I hope I never forget the feelings I had that day.

Kari said...

What fun Rach! Ty looks like he had a blast!

Pace & Gwen said...

Wish I would've been there - to have heard you sing especially. Sounds like there was a great spirit int he program overall. I bet is was wonderful!

Jamie said...

I wish so badly I could've been there to hear you sing. I miss hearing you sing. I love it! Thanks for that sweet post.