Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Trip to Oregon

Our trip to Oregon was so much fun! Every day was jam-packed with things to do. We had such a good time sight seeing, visiting with family, and celebrating Ben and Christie's wedding and cousin Chloe's blessing. Here are some highlights of our first family vacation to Oregon.

Tuesday: Ty and I flew by ourselves. Ty did great and didn't cry once during the entire flight. That evening, Trent got in a car accident. Luckily he didn't get hurt, but Lance (his car) took a beating.

Wednesday: Our tourist day.
First, Grammy Blake took us to Riverfront Park and we got to ride the carousel.

Next, we drove a few hours to Newport Beach. We had lunch at the Chowder Bowl (yummy!) and took a short stroll down the beach. The temperature was in the high 30's and the wind was fierce. Ty loved it nonetheless and would have happily ran into the ocean if I would have allowed it. There were cute kite shops everywhere. I would have splurged if Ty was a little older.

We love the beach, even when it's freezing!

Our next stop was the Yaquina Head lighthouse. This was my special request. I've always thought lighthouses were beautiful and Sharon made sure I got to see one up close. I even got to go to the top and see the view and the mechanisms that produce the light. This lighthouse shines light as far as 21 miles. After this, we stopped at a remote place in the woods where a glassblower has a small shop. It was amazing to watch her create a vase right before my eyes.

Thursday:
The Tulip Festival at Woodburn
The weather was chilly, but Ty thoroughly enjoyed himself at the Tulip Festival.

Grammy Blake showing Ty the tulips.
The festival had just begun that day and only a few rows were in full bloom.

Enjoying the play area.

Friday:
Happy Birthday Ty!
Here is the birthday boy dancing outside Grammy's house. He is a walking, talking machine...and super cute to boot! We had to drive an hour to Portland for Christie's bridal shower so I spent most of the day apart from Ty. Luckily, Christie was sweet enough to let us celebrate Ty's birthday that night at the wedding rehearsal dinner.

Sharon is a master baker and cake decorator. She made our wedding cake and was a busy woman making Ben and Christie's cake. She made time to teach me a few tricks of the trade. My first attempt at cake decorating turned out ok! I forgot to get a pilot, and ran out of time to detail the cake with other colors, but I liked the result. It took me forever to make all those little stars...I may opt to buy a cake next year!

One of a gazillion pictures of Ty enjoying his airplane cake. The rest of the family and wedding party ate the blue runway that the airplane was sitting on. It was yummy!

Saturday: The wedding!
Handsome Ben (former Marine) and the beautiful bride, Christie!

An attempted family picture in the atrium inside the Portland Temple.

The reception was so much fun!
I tasted oysters for the first time and the food, dancing, and ambiance was amazing!

Sunday: Happy Easter
The Easter Bunny found Ty in Oregon.

Four generations of Blake's

We were all ready for our own beds by Sunday afternoon. Ty anxiously helped us cart our luggage around the airport. He was a turkey on the ride home, but after going nearly 6 days without a major meltdown, I couldn't blame him. We're glad to be home after such a fun trip.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Rach, I'm glad you had a good trip. I love the picture of you and your cute family. I love what you are wearing. It looks so flattering on you. I am back from St. George. Let's get together!!!

Binghams said...

Hey it's so good to keep up with you guys! We've decided to go private...too many weirdos out there...so if you'll email me your email address I'll include ya! bingbingbiggulp@hotmail.com
Amanda

Jill Manning said...

What a great trip. I would have loved to have seen all those tulips and the lighthouse!! Oh my goodness, that lighthouse looks so majestic! And I love, and I mean LOVE, you red coat, where did you get it? Ty is getting so big, I love the pic of him loving his birthday cake! You did a great job making it!

Beka said...

so many beautiful and cute pics! I'm so glad he was a good baby! and good job on the cake!

Jennie said...

Looks like a ton of fun! It made me miss Oregon, seeing the beach and even that you ate at the same place I have! (I'm from Hillsboro, and McMinnville OR)

Way to go on the cake!

The Arizona Blake Family said...

All you pictures turned out so cute! It's good to be home :)

Sarah Williams said...

I thought your cake was a dogs butt w/ the brown tail and it was laying down. better work on that cake decorating some more HA! I SO LOVE the northwest coast I haven't been forever and those pics just make me want to go there! Looks so fun.

Linz said...

Sounds like it was lots of fun!! Plane rides and babies...oh what a joy! At least your plane ride was 10 hours...yay two weeks and that will be me! UGH! I'll be hoping Owen was as good as Ty (on the first leg!)