Monday, March 05, 2007

Trauma to the Mama


Today while I was walking to 4th period, a student came rushing around the corner in a panic, his backpack flinging behind him. We were on a direct collision course and before I knew it, his backpack hit my belly exactly where Ty was nesting. After the initial shock of the impact, I tried to assess the damage. I wasn't knocked down completely, just knocked off balance. I taught 4th period, but then paid a visit to the school nurse. She promptly insisted that I see my doctor and filled out an occupational hazard form. (Workman's comp?) I didn't know if I really needed to make a big deal out of the situation, but I relented. Trent picked me up and we went to the doctors office. I was in her office for five minutes when she insisted I go to the hospital to be monitored. So we drove another 15 feet and I became the lucky patient in triage room 8. After 5 or so hour of fetal monitoring, an ultra sound, blood tests and a full on girly exam, they declared Ty unharmed. I'm thankful for the news, but it was such a tedious day! Who knew teaching high school could be so perilous?! On the bright side, Ty is 50% effaced and I'm dilated to a 1. I offered to stick around and get labor started, but they declined. Maybe next week!

8 comments:

Jill Manning said...

**GASP** I am so glad to hear that everything turned out okay and that little Ty is safe and sound. That punk that ran into should have to go through your labor for his punishment. Ahhh...sweet justice!

Linz said...

Okay Im already overprotective of my belly...now I will be even more so! Hope there is no soreness from that one! It looks like it wont take long for Ty to come...yeah!

The Parkers said...

How was the backpack?

Jamie & Johnny said...

I couldn't read that post fast enough to get to the bottom where you said Ty was unharmed. It is so nerve racking these next weeks. I'm so happy to hear all is well. 50%ephaced, that's a start!

The Blakes said...

Alison, the backpack suffered only a bruised ego. I got the bruised belly.

Jennie said...

Wow! What a close call. I'm glad everyone's okay. I can't believe you're so close to your due date...it really could be any day now! Don't you just love the exams? ;0

morgan larsen said...

Wow- what an eventful day! Glad you came out unharmed although I was rooting for you to get to stay in the hospital and not have to go teach anymore!

the Painters said...

Teaching or labor...I'd go with teaching. LOL
I'm glad you're ok and I laughed at Alison's comment. Too funny! I slipped on a broken down cardboard box in the garage in my 8th month of preg and it was so scary but the little one's are so protected in there...Can't wait to see him when he comes. 50% efaced is great!