Saturday, March 24, 2007

Our Miracle Baby



Hello all, I'd like to introduce you to Ty Anderson Blake. I'm so glad to be home from the hospital, although I miss having the big red "nurse" button to push whenever I need something. It looks like Trent gave you the stats (in a way only Trent would), so I'll give you the story. We were admitted to Banner Desert Tuesday night at 10pm. Then we waited. Around midnight, they finally gave me some Prostagland gel to soften my cervix. I was supposed to get that gel treatment three times over a six hour period, but the first dose immediately sent me into labor. By 2:30 I had the epidural (heaven) even though I had only begun to feel the contractions in my back. I pretty much got to lay in bed and chill until I felt pressure about 11:30 Wednesday morning. I progressed to a 10 really quickly, but they had me resist the urge to push so his head could continue dropping on its own. I finally got to push at 12:15, and the nurse immediately said she would call in the doctor. About 5-6 pushing cycles, less than 25 minutes later, Ty plopped out. The instant they put him on my chest he relieved himself (pee and poo) right on mommy's chest. Nice to meet you too!

Later, Trent told me that when Ty came out, his cord was wrapped around his neck and the doctor showed him that the cord had knots in it as well. The doctor was surprised this hadn't affect Ty's delivery. Both Trent and I think there was a little work of the Lord involved that got us in to deliver early, and made the delivery quick. We can't be sure that the cord would have caused a problem later, but the doctor seemed relieved that he came when he did. We started this pregnancy worried about losing him and seemed to end it with a humbling experience as well. We're just so glad he's healthy!


We got to stay in the hospital an extra day because I was positive for Group B Strep. Neither of us was really in any danger, it's just a precaution they take. I didn't mind an extra day of help from the nurses and the lactation specialist. By the end of my stay, I was referring to the lactation expert as my fairy godmother. Breastfeeding is not coming naturally to the Blake's.


He is not a fussy baby, unless you try to unwrap him. He looks like a bean burrito all the time. This look really brings out his cheeks, the only feature right now that we can say comes from his mommy. He's got Trent written all over him. Be back with more pictures when I have a minute to myself.

11 comments:

Cara Fish said...

Oh, Rach, he is gorgeous. GORGEOUS. You did a good job. 9 months in your oven paid off. I will be by to see you soon.

Linz said...

Yummy yummy yummy! What a seriously cute guy! Good job Rach!

Jamie & Johnny said...

So sweet, I love baby burritos. I know you think he's all dad but I see mom in him too, I really do. What a sweet blessing he is. A new baby is always a miracle!

Nash said...

Congratulations Rachel!! He looks so sweet. Keep bundling him like a burrito, you will be grateful. I did this with my last baby and it put him to sleep every time until about 6 months. What a lifesaver.

the Painters said...

It's so nice to meet you littel Ty! Good job momma! You did it! You are now a member of the mommy group!!!! (and no sleep group)....
He is absolutely adorable and gorgeous. What an angel. the Lord definitely helped you in a huge way cause um, 25 min pushing and that's it with your first baby? Unheard of! You are one blessed momma and I'm so happy for Trent. He's glowing too!

Anonymous said...

He's adorable! Great color too! Congrats! Good job mama! Nine months are all worth it when you get to hold that precious little burrito in your arms huh (even when he does relieve himself on you! ;-))?!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Rach and Trent! Isn't it amazing how one little guy can change your lives forever? I'm so glad that he came out okay!

I know what you mean about nursing difficulties, BELIEVE ME! If you are still having problems/questions, a GREAT place to go to is BreastFed, located on Alma School and Baseline SE corner, in the strip mall. They are lactation consultants/specialists and can help you with EVERYTHING. It's not free, but if you really want to nurse (and you're still having difficulties) this place is a life-saver.

Sorry to everyone else that is reading all about this nursing stuff. But it is important, sorry!
Good luck Rachel!

Nash said...

Is Breastfed still there? I heard it went out of business. A great store is Baby, mother and more (something like that) on Gilbert and Southern. It sounds strange but the owner (a man) is very educated and he has a lactation consultant who will talk for free I believe. It's a great store to go to anyway.

Unknown said...

Good Job Rachel!!! You look exhausted but very very happy. As for nursing, if it doesn't work out, just give up like I do! It's not like most of us haven't done just fine after spending our first year drinking formula. I know, I know, I'm about to get all the nursing nazi replies, but it just doesn't work for some people. Whatever works for you and Ty. Love you tons.

Unknown said...

That last reply was supposed to be from Alison, but I was signed in as Jake. While nursing doesn't come that easily for him either, the advice was from alison. He loves you lots too. :)

lrbodine said...

Congrats! I'm glad he is here and healthy. I love the chubby cheeks.