Thursday, October 28, 2010

4 Hours?

I was perusing through a parenting magazine last month and it said that most children average 4 hours of television viewing a day. 4 hours? I think I gasped out loud. And then I did the math for my own household. My results were frightening. I made a few excuses for myself including the ridiculous record breaking heatwave and the fact that my son no longer naps. Summertime TV watching is especially plentiful at our house. But still, 4 hours?

I forgot about this whole TV overload thing until today when the screen went blank. I had called and canceled our cable yesterday and today they sent someone out to unplug us. Why was it such a hard decision to make? When we moved we nixed our satellite service and DVR and I remember feeling kind of liberated.

With the weather finally behaving reasonably and the holidays around the corner, I don't think we'll miss the TV too much. (I do not speak for my husband who is mourning the loss of ESPN and a few other select channels.) I will miss Hoarders, Barefoot Contessa, and weekend movies on TNT. I'm just amazed at how addicting the tube is and how easy it is to avoid parental and household duties when it is on. I'm sure we'll still enjoy our faves on hulu after the kids are in bed.

And when the heat starts seeping in next spring, I may have to reassess the situation. But come on, 4 hours? Yikes!

Lest you think this was totally a decision based on principles to attempt better parenting practices, let me be honest in saying we are just trying to trim some bills. In other words, we have to get a new air conditioner. Kind of a worthwhile trade off when one lives in the desert.

Our days are booked solid right now anyway. In our 4 hours of non-TV watching, some of us will be busy rescuing distressed citizens...with the exception of Brooke, whom Ty intentionally causes distress.
Have a fun and safe Halloween!

6 comments:

LucyH said...

We got rid of cable for the second time since being married about a year ago. It is wonderful! We still have the digital/satellite whatever you call the free tv. But the channels are so terrible that we hardly ever turn it on. I find that my kids watch more movies the busier I am, like if I have a yw program coming up or whatever. TV is totally my crutch everyday when I am making dinner or getting ready and I don't want them getting into anything. It's terrible! I bet the pioneers had some great ways of keeping the kids entertained.

Jamie said...

I've been wanting to get rid of my cable for months now. My hubs won't let it go. We rarely watch tv and what I do watch I can find on the internet the next day. My boys watch movies but mostly play outside. No loss for us. I'm sure Johnny can't give up his sports either. Good luck to Trent! :)
Happy Halloween!

PS. Do you still watch One Tree Hill? I found it the other day and watched it. So much has changed, right? Peyton's gone, and so is the star, I can't remember his name. It just reminded me of you and the fun we use to have. :)

Nash said...

hey Kennedy had a black tooth that died, but they can just bruise and so it might be ok. BUT, she bumped hers a few times and had it taken out. good luck. we had NO cable for four years. we just got it so paul could watch the colts. they don't get to watch too much during the week, but it seems they make up for it. i don't know, it's hard. i just hope we keep busy enough that it's not excessive.

d.jo said...

You're so funny! Good for you. Live like no one else so that later you can live like no one else--cut the cable so later you can enjoy an air-conditioned house. Love it. : )

Laurie Smith said...

We banned TV on school nights when my kids were in school and their grades improved and they actually started talking to each other...you won't regret it!

mad white woman said...

Holy smokes! I don't even know if we watch that much in a week. But then again, our only option is to watch movies since we don't have cable and our TV is analog and we don't have a converter thing-a-majig. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have self control if we did have anything beyond that. :)