Thanks again to my friend Christie who came up with daily activities for her kids to do in anticipation of Halloween. Even though Halloween is not my favorite holiday, I love any reason to celebrate - especially if I can get my kids involved. Christie posted her ideas here if you're interested - she even provides the links for you. I am borrowing some of her ideas and we have come up with some on our own. We wrote our ideas and activities on little squares of paper and put them in this advent calendar that I bought on clearance a few years ago.
The majority of the activities we chose are pretty simple to accommodate short attention spans. Most of them are free and don't take long. Here is a short list of things we are doing:Movie night - for every Saturday we chose a Halloween themed movie, age appropriate for Ty. We picked Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin and a few Disney specials. There are many more options if you have older kids. I'd love more movie ideas - we don't have cable this year so I need to rent/check out videos.
Family outings - we are heading to Apple Annie's in a few weeks to pick our pumpkins straight from the patch. This yearly tradition is one of my favorites and makes for the best pictures. We will also be heading to Mother Nature's Farm for a hayride.
Crafts - Quick and simple are the best kind with little kids. We are making a few of these things during family time or at my morning preschool. Glitter pine cones, ghost wind socks, painting pumpkins, spider cookies, etc...
Slime - I found this recipe for making goo that I can't wait to try!
Corndy Corn Art - at our house candy corn has always been called corndy corn. With paper and some glue, I think we can come up with a lovely piece of art.
Boo Banquet - we tried to this last year, but with Ty's texture issues and limited menu, it was more fun just to focus on Halloweeny treats. In a few years, however, I hope to have a full dinner menu with fun and frightening foods!
Scary Stories - I love books. I love holiday books. I have slowly been creating a small holiday library and this year we have some really fun books to read. Some of my kids' favorites are I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat, Here Comes Halloween, Where's My Mummy, and of course Where the Wild Things Are. None are truly scary, but all of them are fun! I just ordered a few more from the scholastic book order - yay for $1 books! I love having a stash of holiday books because when any of the other ideas don't work out, reading is always fun and easy!
The rest of our days are filled with preschool coloring pages, baking, and Halloween BINGO! Thanks again to Christie for all the fun ideas! If you have any fun Halloween activities you do at your house, please share!





3 comments:
Ok. You are just cementing the fact that you are a Supermom. Those are such cool ideas. Maybe someday I'll be motivated to be that fun of a mom!
I love this. Tucking away these ideas for next year when we're more settled and Eva is a little older. I'm hoping we make it to the pumpkin patch this year though. A few Halloween cartoons/kid movies I've seen scheduled to be on cable soon are Casper and Wendy, The Little Vampire, Corpse Bride, Scooby Doo, and the Wallace and Gromit Were-Rabbit movie. Maybe you can find some of these to rent :)
Maddie is on a Monster House kick. And for a kids movie, it is a little scary, but I guess she likes that sort of thing.
Post a Comment