Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Orphans

My kids look like orphans.
Look at that cute smile! And that sad little front tooth. Luckily the dentist said it was just badly bruised. Apparently it will continue to get darker for another 6 weeks, then begin to heal and slowly return to its normal color. Our Christmas pictures are going to be awesome - we're considering a pirate themed card this year. But really, so glad it's not dead.

What's that cotton ball, you ask? Ear infections are kinda grody when you have tubes. The infection just drips right out of your ear. The school nurse made me come get him yesterday because it was oozing pretty bad. I didn't notice it when he woke up or I would have kept him home. He was pretty grouchy with me for making him leave school early.
Ty is obsessed with robots and makes them out of blocks every day after school. He wanted me to take a picture of them. Blocks and legos are a skill most kids acquire pretty easily, but Ty just recently started manipulating them willingly and even imaginatively. During one of his evaluations this summer, he lost points for not pretending a cylindrical block was an airplane. When the psychologist handed it to him and said, "make it fly like an airplane," he just looked at her funny and stated, "bwock." I could tell from his facial expression that he was thinking something along the lines of, "Um, this is a block lady. Why would I make it fly?" But I wasn't allowed to make a peep, literally not a sound was allowed to escape me -so I stayed quiet while she made her list of things he couldn't do. Well you can bet I'm anxious to tell his docs at our December appointment that he not only builds robots (though he obsesses over the symmetry a bit), he will take random objects and imagine they are rockets and airplanes. I love when he gets creative - it makes me feeling like we're proving the norm of autism wrong.
Miss B fought ants last week, this week she picked a fight with the pavement. She looks like Angelina Jolie with a poorly injected shot of collagen. Brooke has officially enrolled as a full time member of the terrible two club. She gave a showing here and towards the end of summer, but she has now decided to make it a lifestyle. On a positive note, she is adorable and I love the way her smile melts me and others around her.
Grandma came over today to help me can apple pie filling. I didn't think it was a two man job, but I'd still be peeling apples if I was doing it on my own. Ty earned his keep as well today and manned the peeler along with grandma.
Aren't they beautiful? Can't wait to make a pie.

3 comments:

Nancy Pitney said...

YUM! I made some apple pie filling this summer and it's already almost gone. I want your recipe though--yours looks more gooey than mine!

LucyH said...

Ooh those bottles look so yummy! I've got a terrible two at my house as well!

or mom said...

They are very well taken care of orphans! Got the pix of Brooke w/ the witches hat. So cute! I was just looking at recipes for canning apple pie filling wondering if I wanted to tackle this year. Maybe I'll just admire yours.