Thursday, October 01, 2009

October Fun

Last October, my friend Christie came up with a daily activity for her kids to do in anticipation of Halloween. Even though Halloween is not my favorite holiday, I love any reason to celebrate - especially if I can get my kids involved. Christie posted her new list for this month here if you're interested in getting some ideas - she even provides the links for you. I am borrowing some of her ideas and we came up with a few of our own during FHE this week. We wrote our ideas and activities on little squares of paper and put them in this advent calendar that I bought on clearance last year after the season had passed. Coming up with ideas was pretty fun, especially with Trent's input. His very first, almost immediate request was that we learn and perform the Thriller dance. Done.
The rest of the activities we chose are pretty simple to accommodate Ty's short attention span. Most of them are free and don't take long. Here is a short list of things we are doing:

Movie night - for every Saturday we chose a Halloween themed movie, age appropriate for Ty. We picked Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin and a few Disney specials. There are many more options if you have older kids.

Family outings - we are heading to Apple Annie's in a few weeks to pick our pumpkins straight from the patch. We will also be heading to Mother Nature's Farm for a hayride.

Crafts - Ty is not into crafts so I found some quick and simple things to do

Slime - I found this recipe for making goo that I can't wait to try!

Corndy Corn Art - at our house candy c orn has always been called corndy corn. With paper and some glue, I think we can come up with a lovely piece of art.

Boo Banquet - we will be inviting some friends over for a frightening feast one Sunday afternoon.

The rest of our days are filled with preschool coloring pages, baking, Halloween books, and my favorite this year, Halloween BINGO! Thanks Christie for all the fun ideas! If you have any fun Halloween activities you do at your house, please share!

3 comments:

Nancy Pitney said...

Thanks for sharing! I saw that advent calendar at Pottery Barn last year and thought, "when would I ever use that?" Now you've showed me what I could have done! Maybe when Jack gets a little older...let's just hope I remember!

Christie said...

Can I make a request that we get a live and in-person performance of Thriller from the Blake family? That would be awesome! (I always think of 13 Going on 30 when I hear Thriller.)

Your ideas sound like so much fun! I had forgotten about the Halloween Charlie Browns and other movies. That's a great idea (especially for those days where we just need some downtime). There are a couple of things we wanted to invite some friends over to do and would love your company! I'll be calling. Or emailing. Or texting. Whatever the communication device choice is that day. :)

morgan larsen said...

I love the ideas even without kids around (do you think the baby would appreciate the slime if I spread it all over my belly?) Okay, actually that grosses me out even writing it. But seriously, how clever!