This time last year I was 8 months pregnant and very, very stressed. Ty was a very frustrated, temperamental, and aggressive 19 month old little boy who just couldn't get words to come out of his mouth. The state evaluated him, labeled him high risk for development and speech delays, and even red flagged him for autism. I wept. A lot. And then I prayed. A lot.
One year later, we are still in our cramped condo, driving vehicles that are starting to show their age, and paying back Uncle Sam for Trent's education. But we are so happy to be where we are. And we are equally as grateful for the path we have been down this year. There is much humility to be learned when your child requires extra help.
Ty has made significant progress over the course of the year. He still receives therapy twice a week, but his temperament has improved dramatically; his communication, though still behind his peers, is advancing little by little; and he has proven that he has the smarts of any average toddler. He is thriving in nursery and in his preschool class. (He even got an award today for being a helper during class. Shame on me for being shocked when I saw the award.) He has a great imagination, loves to sing, and adores his daddy. And he is so darn cute.

Brooke has been an added blessing to us in this year of dramatic change. She is a cheerful, giggly baby who is just now learning how to be mischievous. I can't get enough of her open mouthed slobbery kisses and frequent snuggles.

We've still got plenty of work ahead of us and challenges to overcome, but in retrospect - oh what a difference one year has made!
Post Edit: A HUGE thanks to Ty's therapists (Miss Rebecca and Miss Yolanda), his nursery leaders, Miss Maren, and all of our family, friends and neighbors who have loved him on his good days AND his bad days too. We include all of his helpers in our prayers every single day. Thank you!





2 comments:
When challenges in life come, all you have to do is look into the faces of those beautiful babies and know everything you go thru and everything you do have great blessings and reward. I love your posting and insights.
Hi. You don't know me, but I happened upon your blog while reading someone else's blog, and the title of this post caught my eye. When I read about your husband, I thought, wow that name sounds familiar..well, that's because your husband has been my PA a few times at his practice! what a small world! Hope you don't mind my following your blog? Also, you are part of the secret stitch club? Do you know Martha Houseknecht?
Post a Comment