Trent and I spent a long weekend in San Francisco for our 4th anniversary. This is the first significant trip we have taken alone since becoming parents and it was well earned. Many thanks to my parents for taking over in our absence.
We booked our room at an antique hotel, which we discovered is a fancy way of saying run down and in need of repair. We just bought our own sheets at a nearby Ross and stuck it out. Next time we'll know better.
We spent most of our first day at Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, and Union Square.
The next morning we went to Alcatraz. Here we are on the ferry.

We couldn't resist the standard tourist traps. When we arrived there was a special guest at the entrance. The youngest prison guard that worked there, now 82 years old, told stories about his experience at the Rock. Very cool.
After 3 hours at Alcatraz, we went back to Pier 39 and rented a tandem bike for the afternoon. We made the 8.9 bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. It was pretty spectacular! Our tush's were sore by the time we reached Sausilito but the view was totally worth it!

Our last day we slept in, went to Golden Gate Park and visited Little Russia. After a bit of searching, Trent found an authentic Russian restaurant where he indulged in some borsch (beet soup with cabbage and carrots), pelmini (meat stuffed dough) and piroshki (bread stuffed with seasoned potatoes). We had blintzes for dessert. Then we found a Russian bakery and got a few pastries. Some of the dishes were tasty, but frankly, I'm not sure how he survived two years in Russia.
Then he took me to the SF branch of the Russian Orthodox church. I had to cover my head to go in. It was dark and kind of gloomy inside. All of the pictures of the Savior and the Saints were beautiful, yet dreary because of the sad expressions on their faces. The sermon was delivered in Old Slavik, so even the Russians couldn't understand the priest. We didn't stay long but it was an interesting experience.
We really enjoyed the food (clam chowder, sourdough bread, swordfish, Mediterranean gyros, French crepes, and even the strange Russian food), and the weather was incredible, but spending time with each other was the best part!








14 comments:
how fun! glad you guys got to enjoy your 4 year anniversary. :) SO funny you guys got your own sheets. haha. i prob would have too. happy belated anniversary
Nice trip! You are so lucky you got that weather. It's all chance in the city. you never know if it's gonna be foggy and freezing...or sunny...and freezing.
You both look adorable and so in love.
JEALOUS!!! I am green with envy!
What a blast. Johnny and I are leaving for Oakland on Thursday. We are not as lucky as you are because we have to take our kiddos but I'm still excited to go. Glad you had fun together.
I still blog, i still blog!! I love the post, so keep them coming! Glad you enjoyed your trip!
What a fun trip! i'm so glad you guys got to get away to such a fun place- looks like you were able to do tons of cool stuff. Ya, lets do a playdate next week sometime, let me know your schedule!
What a fun trip. Oh, don't stop blogging. I'm ready to give up FB. Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.... especially loved the ones you texted me!
Looks like you had a great trip! I love all the pictures! You said it, trips are great, but the best part is just being together!
i know what you mean about fb and blogging. i feel the same way.
i LOVED these pics. you look GREAT and i love the pic with the helmets on. is it really that long of a ride? wow.
Glad to hear you had a great time...you didn't mention how your Mom is feeling after the long weekend?!
These pictures bring back memories from my honeymoon.
I still blog, I just had to take a break while life was momentarily out of control. ;)
So fun! I love San Francisco! Looks like you had tons of fun...happy anniversary!
WHAT! You didn't tell us you where going to SanFan?! ;)
Looks like you 2 had fun.
glad you guys had a fun trip! i know what you mean about 'does anyone blog anymore?' i've noticed that a lot of my friends(as well as my self) have been sluggish about updates!! something ELSE to work on!!
Post a Comment