I got a haircut today. It's amazing how refreshing a haircut is. Whilst Jessica was chopping away, I lamented about my lack of fashion these days. I told her about the other preschool moms who look so cute when they pick up their kids, yet I usually have my hair pulled back in a ponytail, typically dressed in something unmemorable with minimal make up on. Lest you think I'm a total sloth, I do put effort into my appearance for church and formal outings. But the day to day grind leaves me looking, well, like a mom. When I was a working mom I had to look professional. But somehow, mothering in my favorite Banana Republic pants with a nice shirt just seems silly.
But now I've got a fresh new haircut. So tomorrow I'll pull out my best Target clearance rack t-shirt and my least worn pair of jeans. Just to spice things up, I'll wear earrings and hope that Brooke doesn't rip them out before lunch.
(I recently read this post from cjane. She and I are singing from the same hymnal these days, though she articulates her thoughts much more poetically.)
In the meantime, I'll remember that my uniform isn't nearly as important as the games we play, the songs we sing, and the laughs we share at home. And lucky for me, Trent still thinks I'm hot. Especially with my new haircut.
p.s. Since my prior post about things breaking, please add the following items to the list: favorite bracelet, sunglasses that I've had for nearly a decade (both courtesy of Brooke), my watch, a few drinking glasses, and the brakes on my car and the stone in my wedding ring is loose. All I can do is laugh.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I just went and read the cjane post. It's exactly what I needed to hear...a reminder about what is really important, what my purpose really is, that this time in my life won't last forever and to enjoy it now.
It's kinda funny that you say "I'll be cute again" because I tell myself, "Someday I'll be cute like Rachel."
Whatever, i think i'm the queen of frumpy moms, but i've always thought you always look beautiful:) I'm glad you pampered yourself so you feel that way about yourself too! You definitely deserve it! Miss seeing you guys!
I'm with Christie--I always thought you were way cute. My idea of dressing up is putting on some eye shadow. My wardrobe is totally lacking, but who has the money to buy the cute trendy stuff? Somehow we've got to make the frumpy mom look popular, then we won't have to feel so bad!
I want to see a picture. Not I need it to convince me you're a cute mom, because I've always thought that, but I am curious.
Sometimes I notice food smeared on my clothes before I walk out the door to go somewhere and I secretly pretend I didn't see it. :)
Post a Comment