Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sticks and stones may break my bones....or wrestling

The short version of the story: Ty broke his ring finger on his left hand while wrestling.

The long version: I came home from the grocery store yesterday to find Trent nursing Ty's left hand. He said they were playing and Ty stopped suddenly, said "ow" and Trent noticed his finger didn't look right. He thought it was merely dislocated but took him to the office to get an x-ray. Yep, broken.
Trent got us into a pediatric ortho surgeon this morning, though he couldn't come along for the joyous occasion. The doctor said the break started to rotate which may require a pin (outpatient surgery) but he put a cast on for now and will re-assess it on Monday. Scratch that, he put two casts on Ty. The first attempt was foiled because Ty started to wriggle free from it before it had even dried completely. It would have been much less cumbersome for Ty, but I couldn't help my 2 year old see the logic behind leaving it put.
So after a 15 minute break, some juice and a sticky red sucker, we tried again. Full arm cast. Holding him down for TWO casts was not the highlight of my day. I nearly broke into tears from frustration and exhaustion by the end, but somehow managed to pull it together. I'm such a pansy.
Since the break happened, just after lunch yesterday, it has not even remotely phased Ty. He occasionally winced if he put pressure on it, but it was life as usual for my Energizer bunny. So I had to chuckle and raise my eyebrows when I received paperwork from the front office staff that stated the following:

NO RUNNING, JUMPING, CLIMBING, SLIDES OR PLAYGROUNDS FOR 5 WEEKS
NO CONTACT SPORTS OR THROWING BALLS FOR 5 WEEKS

Like that's going to happen for a whole day, let alone 5 weeks. If he doesn't have surgery than we're hoping he's only in the cast for 3 weeks. I think it may be a long 3 weeks.

They also added in a pass to be excused from gym class for 5 weeks. How thoughtful.

4 comments:

Auburn said...

too funny. when my cousin anne's little guy had surgery on his hand he was in a cast like that for like two months and he did ALL of the same things he did before. I swear the cast didn't slow him down a bit either! Love it! Go TY.

Alison said...

Holy Baloney! Poor little booger. Don't you love it when "Dad fun" leads to injury? We've had a couple of black eyes from it, but never broken bones (yet).

Jamie said...

Ouch. I'm glad it doesn't seem to phase him. Good luck. :)

Beka said...

he looks so cute in his cast!