Yesterday we discussed what to do with our holiday together since Trent had the day off. Instead of packing up the kids to go on a day trip (I'm still recovering from our summer travels) we decided to make a garden. If you've seen our place you might be scratching your head wondering how one plants a garden with no yard and tiny patio space. Read on, friend.
The trip to Home Depot started the fun. Ever since Ty started preschool, he insists on wearing his ba-pa (back pack) every time we leave the house. He wore it at Home Depot while he pushed the cart and gave lengthy narratives about the flowers and mulch we as we walked by. Oh I wish I had a picture of him in action. And I wish I knew what he was saying - it sounded pretty exciting.
Our friend offered us one of their old dresser drawers to use as our planter box. Trent drilled some holes into the bottom, covered it with netting to keep the dirt in while letting water seep out, then packed it with soil.

Only one of us could fit on the patio at a time so we didn't get to work side by side.

We really want to learn to grow our own herbs since we use those the most. We have rosemary growing in our kitchen, and put basil and cilantro in our box. We are taking a stab at cherry tomatoes and snow peas too. Since we are both new at this we won't be devastated if it takes a few tries to start producing. We figure this will be a great way to learn until we have more land to work with.

I may or may not have more pictures to show in a few months. Regardless of the results it was fun to research, shop, and execute our first little garden together as a family.

Now I just need to plant my marigolds on the front patio!
5 comments:
No, put your marigolds right by the tomatoes. At least 3 or 4 of them. It keeps the bugs off.
Good for you!
way to go! you guys are so good at getting things done:)
you all should use a "earth box" it awesome and things grow crazy in it.
Good luck with that lady, tomatoes like their room and so does basil, I would maybe pull something out of there. Also a little late to plant tomatoes...actually take that back, you live in AZ. Happy gardening!
Post a Comment