Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without

No pictures. So to all of you non readers, my apologies.

Our laptop died a slow and painful death. Yesterday we said our final goodbyes. We have a desk top, but the laptop was the favorite. We took it to Best Buy to discuss resuscitation, but the Geek Squad assured us that there was no hope for us. After some discussion we decided to postpone replacing it and to reaqcuaint ourselves with our old school desk top computer. It just made sense.

I was ogling some fabric at Hobby Lobby last week but remembered that I had a bin full of unused fabric at home. I made a promise to myself to work through some of it before replenishing any more craft supplies. (Some of my friends have even enlisted to help me use up this fabric!)

Leftovers. Personally, I 'm not a fan of most leftovers. But in the event that too much food has been prepared, we are trying to do better at consuming the leftovers before making new meals. I've already noticed a difference, slight as it may be, in our grocery expenses.

Christmas is coming and we've toyed with the idea of only filling stockings this year. Our kids are young and we've got very little space for more stuff. This one will be the hardest for me - I love Christmas shopping.

It has felt really good to go through boxes and cupboards, rediscovering things we already have that can be put to good use. It's nearly as fun as getting something new. I did say nearly. And in the process of purging, we've been able to share things we no longer need with others. We have frequently been the recipients of generous friends and it's nice to take a turn paying it forward.

I am loving the simplicity of life right now. After a wonderful summer full of trips it has been refreshing to be at home doing ordinary things. We have enjoyed watching our garden grow, watching Ty continue to improve his speech and behavior, and watching Brooke develop her own sassy little personality.

4 comments:

Nancy Pitney said...

I love your thoughts. In a time when we are hearing "self-reliance" all over the place, I think you took that to heart in a very practical way! For me, I'm trying to only buy what I NEED at the grocery store (except when I'm stocking up on meat on sale or something like that). It's hard, but it sure helps! I'm definitely not where you are, but I hope to be someday! Good work!

Jennie said...

I hear ya on the fabric. It's so hard because fabric inspires a project. But I've got the same goal too, to use up what I've got right now. We do the leftover thing too, and it does help, although sometimes boring. :)

Jill Manning said...

I must say, I feel blessed that we have been recipients of your de-cluttering. I can't wait for Elsie to wear her new shoes. Enjoy life!

Maren said...

this hits a little too close to home. With all of our bad luck our computer decided to join the junk heap as well as the lawn mower I would love to race to the store and buy buy buy - but I have to suck it up. We still have our laptop and with dinner group there is never a shortage of food. Thanks for sharing. I love your blog and your friendship. You are too fun.