It's been a long week. I've been voiceless, sick and taking care of sick children. Trent worked extra hours and wasn't around much to commiserate with the rest of us, though he was helpful the few hours a day he was home. Even after what felt like an eternal week of coughing, fevers, and sleeplessness for all parties involved; tonight I was reminded how much I love my family - and for the simplest reasons.
This afternoon we went swimming together. I watched Ty fearlessly jump in the pool and dart down the slide, soaking in not only the sun but the presence of his daddy. He looked a bit silly with his special headband on (to protect those precious tubes in his ears), but hadn't a care in the world except playing with his dad.
Fast forward to this evening. We got a late start on dinner (the trout that Trent caught last weekend) and Trent and I worked alongside each other in the kitchen to put together a tasty meal. While everything was simmering we turned on Sirius to enjoy some music. Ella Fitzgerald came on singing At Last, and Trent and I waltzed around our tiny living room. Ty got the giggles while watching and insisted on joining in. Before long Brooke was pouting, so Trent and I took separate partners. Ty and I twirled while Trent and Brooke swayed. It was so fun to watch the expressions on the kids' faces while we all danced. When the song was over, Trent found another station playing Ghetto Superstar. We threw down our best moves from our days on the singles scene and even started to work up a sweat. Ty really seemed to connect with Led Zeppelin and we even did some fancy footwork to part of a show tune. Before we knew it, a half an hour had passed, dinner was definitely ready, and it was well beyond the kids bedtime. We all had grins on our faces and were a bit tired from the random acts of movement. It was past 9 by the time we put the kids down and sat down to our dinner, but I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday night.
While this is not a normal occurrence in our family, perhaps it should be. I love that one spur of the moment decision to dance together in the living room turned into an evening of family fun and quite possibly one of my favorite memories.
So far...
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
um cutest thing ever, when "at last" comes on I just get in a slow dancey mood! hope you and the kids get better soon! love you
too bad you didnt catch it on video!! what a sight to see- the blake family dance:) too fun- i'm glad you are feeling better!
That's great. I can just picture it. Sounds like something I'd see in a romance movie. So fun!!! When are you going to come visit me? We would love to have you up this summer.
Some of my fondest childhood memories are dancing as a family in the family room--I'm sure you can imagine it!
Post a Comment