Friday, May 01, 2009

I don't know how to pack efficiently



I went to New York with a friend several years ago and she packed a weeks worth of items into one small duffel bag that she could carry with ease. And she looked great the whole week. I, on the other hand, packed a full suitcase AND a separate carry on. I was single then.

We're going out of town for two nights. With two small children I pack for every possible scenario. Now add diapers, formula, bottles, toys, snacks, and electronic devices to the mix. We've discussed getting a minivan (gasp) this summer to better accommodate traveling and the daunting double stroller, but I'm holding out for a house first. (At least for now.)

I've come to the conclusion that packing is an art. An art in which I have no skill. Though I've already packed our bags for this weekend's adventure, I'd love some pointers.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Beuhler?

7 comments:

Nash said...

wish i had some advice but i don't.
if you are going to have washing machine access, take an outfit a day for kids. it's just plain hard.
so i suggest the honda odyssey for your traveling pleasure.
you could try those huge ziploc bags or suction ones.
good luck.

Alison said...

Forget the toys. She has a ton.

Alison said...

Oh, and she has a bouncy seat.

mad white woman said...

If you took my packing advice, you'd probably end up with a few extra suitcases... so instead of advice, I'll wish you luck.

Auburn said...

oh I am so not the one to give pointers on this subject. I'm terrible at it too!

Christie said...

So, I have been told I should write a book about packing because I do it so much. But by all means I am not the pro yet, because I still bring the big suitcase and pack for all the scenarios. And my disadvantage is no kids yet, so maybe in a few years I will have some better tips for you. For now here are some starters:

1) Wear and toss (this requires bringing items that maybe you are tired of or the kids are outgrowing, and you don't mind parting with). Example: For my last trip down to SD I brought I pair of shoes that I wore to the wedding, by the end of the night my feet hurt so bad, I had no problem leaving them in the room when we left...and whaa laa, you have room for a new purchased item.

2) Pack n' roll
I find rolling clothes takes up less room.

3) Wear n' pack
Very handy for when you have to repack, at least all or half should be packed already. Just simply wear and then pack away. You can also do this by sides if you don't fully unpack, at least unpack or hang half of your clothes and then you have room for wear and pack on one side of the bag.

4) Extra duffle...
If you are a shopper like me, this comes in handy, for the extra items you might have bought on the trip. Also helps if you get nailed with a 50lbs+ bag at the airport, no one wants to pay those fees, packing on extra bag ontop can help you unload a few pounds so you don't have to pay.

5) I have also come to the conclusion that you really only need one pair of jeans and one pair of black/kaki capri's or pants. Try to keep shoes limited as well.

... Good luck with the kid stuff, I really have no tips. Frakley I am freaked out to have any...will my travel days be over??? Or will have to get a mini-van too???? There has to be a way to master it...new project :)

Nina Jones said...

Hello~ How are you I am sure you know that I am living in Cedar City, UT now.. Just wanted to say hello the kids are so cute.. Love you all.....