Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cures for the Summertime Blues

We were going to try to buy a house this summer, but our plans are on hold...probably for longer than I care to talk about. In the meantime, I've got to make the most of this summer in our current conditions - small living spaces and no yard. Since my backyard obstacle course with sprinklers and a slip-n-slide isn't going to pan out, I went back to the drawing board. I don't want to get caught in a rut, sitting around the house feeling unproductive, cramped, and...well, hot. So I did some research to find fun adventures for toddlers and moms to enjoy together during this least wonderful time of the AZ year. My original intent was to find only free things, but free is rare. I decided to reallocate a few bucks into a summer fun budget so Ty (and Brooke) and I could get out, enjoy someone else's much cooler AC, and keep our sanity. (He's already brought me his shoes once this morning, his version of saying "let's go" mommy.) I want to make sure we do at least one fun thing a week so I created a master list of ideas to work from. Hopefully it will help you too!

My research was mostly geared towards young kids and are located on my side of town, but I'd love any input and suggestions from anywhere around the valley. I also came to the conclusion that you should equip your bag/car with a few pairs of socks so you don't end up buying a pair when you visit many of these places. Thanks to those of you who introduced me to some of these super fun venues for kids!

Matuku's Island Indoor playground
$8.50/child $ 3.50/adult
socks required

Jeepers Indoor amusement park
$7 all day rides/ $20 month pass


Bounce Jungle
$5 for toddlers during open bounce/$34 bounce pass for 5 sessions
socks required
I called several "bounce" facilities and this is the only one I found that has a reduced priced for toddlers. If you know of others, please share! The average price of other bounce centers is $8-9 for an all day pass.

Museum for Youth - Artville

$5.50 per person, children under 1 are free
socks required for toddler area
Yearlong family passes are available for $75ish dollars if you find yourself frequenting this fun place!

Childrens Museum of Phoenix

$9 per person, children under 1 are free

I haven't been here yet but I hear it is fabulous! We are saving it for a day when Trent can come too.

Phoenix Zoo
The ONLY reason I even suggest this is for all of the members who have free admission. We got a pass for Christmas, so we might as well keep going! They do have splash pads, so take the kids in their suits. They are also opening the gates at 8am these days if you want to beat the afternoon heat.

City Pools
$1.75/children $3.50/adults
$210.00 family season pass
If you don't have access to a community pool (or are grossed out by it like I am), check out your local neighborhood pool. They offer daily prices and summer family passes. My link takes you to Mesa's information.

Here are the links to the summer movie programs:

Harkins
Summer Movie Fun 10 movies for $7

Cinemark Summer Move Clubhouse 10 movies for $5

On those days when the funds are gone - don't forget the few free things that still exist out there:

Tempe Town Lake Splash Park
or a myriad of other fun splash parks
(I'd love to hear which splash parks are your favorite, and why!)

Story Time at Barnes and Noble (Tempe Marketplace)
The City of Mesa's libraries have some story times: one is for babies, the other group is for kids 3 and up. Ty didn't fit into any of their categories, so we're going to B&N.

Mall Play Area - pick your favorite mall for lunch and some exercise! I love Chandler Mall's play area.

Local School Free Lunch program - many Mesa Public Elementary Schools offer free meals to kids under 18 during the month of June. At least in my neighborhood. I'm certainly not one to promote handouts, but they created it for the community.

And last but not least...FRIENDS! We hope to spend lots of time meeting up with friends at these fun places and even at home! Call us if you'd like some company.

Have any fun ideas to add to this list? Please leave a comment!

10 comments:

Nash said...

my 5 year old was afraid of matuku's island slides, and vance went down on accident and freaked him out.
thanks for doing the research. i am feeling the same way. i am probably driving up to utah/idaho once (by myself if you wanna come) and then a san diego trip to see in-laws. it's so hard to know you will sit inside so much. we have a backyard, but it is so boring. i don't know what to do with it. the tramp doesn't get used that much.
you are welcome anytime (seriously) and we could put water on it maybe they'd like that.

Nash said...

have you been out to the farm at south mountain? might be too hot now but i hear it's fantastic. i have never taken my kids to the dinosaur museum in mesa.

hamilton pool is super nice with slides and cheap. i didn't sign up for harkins just plan to try and get into the ones i like.

alright i'm done talking. love the ideas.

Laurie Smith said...

Arizona Science Center (600 E. Washington, Phoenix) is great for kids.

or mom said...

Wish Grammy Blake's house was an option. Have several things Ty could rearrange like Chloe & Ylva does!

lrbodine said...

Jeepers is actually only $5 for a pass and Ellie loves it! We have tried out just about everything on the list I think.... but splash parks are our favorite in the summer time. Free! Oh and AMC has FREE summer movies once a week. I think Wednesdays? And I'm getting a pass for the Mesa Museum for Youth because I think it's worth the money for how close it is and how safe I feel with Ellie in there (and air conditioned).

The Blakes said...

Thanks for the correction on Jeepers, Lachelle! We just went to AZ museum for youth this morning and they were selling family passes at 10% off. Hopefully we'll see you there!

Shanda, we'll come use your trampoline anytime! We could turn on a sprinkler and let them loose while we gab in the shade (or inside). Let's make a date!

Science Center - great idea!

Grammy Blake, if you weren't so far away we'd come over more than you'd probably want us too. :)

Nancy Pitney said...

Rach--

If you ever want to go swimming in a pool for free, give me a call! My mom's pool is always cool (sometimes too cool) and I'm always looking for an excuse to go over there. It's about equal distance for both of us, so that works too! Seriously. I plan on making a few play dates anyway, so I'll be sure to include you! Good Luck!

Beka said...

those are all great ideas...we'll have to meeet up at all those places sometime to get out of the heat!!

Christie said...

One thing I do when we need to get out of the house and I don't have the stamina to wrestle three kids at a playground is get $1 slushies at Sonic and then drive to the airport to see the airplanes. We actually just did it today. I just drive around three or four times going through different terminals and the kids look for airplanes all over the place and drink their slushies. We kill an hour or so, and I sure know the layout of Sky Harbor in case anyone comes in that needs to be picked up. I'm sure Sky Harbor officials wouldn't be too thrilled that I'm contributing to the traffic, but it keeps my kids entertained for the four passes through.

Jamie said...

Don't forget the Kids Club at Westcor Malls. WE go almost every Thursday from 10-11 at Superstition. It is free and they always give a freshly baked Paradise baker cookie for the kiddos and a free toy. You just have to sign up. Also, Gateway over on Signal butte does the movie thing for FREE! We'll be there alot. Good ideas. Thanks for sharing. HOpefully we can join you on some of these! OH and we will be at the pool once a week too. I love this time of year. :)Good luck.