
I decided to sneak into Mesa High this morning to help administer the final exam to my only class of seniors. I love teaching seniors because it is such an exciting time of life. On one hand, they have Peter Pan syndrome and don't want to grow up, and on the other hand, they are desperate for independence. I remember those feelings vividly! While seniors can be huge pains because of all of these conflicting emotions, they are also full of promise and potential.
This year I team taught Senior English with Mrs. Smith, one of the most talented teachers I have ever known. Our class began with 32 kids, several had learning disabilities, many were at-risk, and a select few were college bound. Rough crowd, but therein was our challenge. We ended today with 21 kids. Some of our toughest kids made it through, a few became parents, and more than we expected are going to college.
For the final exam, we sat in a circle and each person gave a toast. Then our kids read letters they had written to themselves the first day of school. Everyone received a "Senior Soundtrack" CD with songs we used throughout the year. Their last assignment was to write down what life lessons they learned this year. As Green Day's Time of Your Life played in the background, we exchanged handshakes, hugs, and shed a few tears. We didn't say goodbye, we said good luck on your journey. My favorite part was the huge hug I received from an 18 year old kid, gigantic next to me, who has been providing for himself and his mother while attending school.
After seven years of teaching, I still get emotional when I have to say goodbye to my kids. Especially the seniors. Each class becomes a little family, an extension of who I am. I cannot begin to describe the amazing connections that were made in our class, but I am so thankful for such a rewarding job.
Did you ever have a class or teacher in high school that has always stayed with you on your journey?





9 comments:
Rachel, what you said makes me rethink my job. you make a difference everyday at work, is there anything more wonderful than that? I envy the time you get to spend with kids who are at this pivotal time in their lives, wow.
btw, reading lolita in tehran is one of my favorite books, let me know what you think when you finish it.
Rachel, you sound like an amazing teacher. You love your kids and wish them a wonderful life. You see them as more than just your students. I wish there were more teachers out there like you.
The teacher who changed my life was Mr. Hogan. He helped me believe in myself and inspired me to see that I could do anything I wanted to...as long as I worked hard for it. I am forever grateful to him.
You just can't get away from Mesa High can you?
Your heart and charity amazes me. I've always said that teachers go straight to heaven....(the ones that don't sleep with their students, that is)
I love good ol' MHS. That is so rad you've worked there for so long. I totally know how you feel about the last day of school. I taught Kindergarten for 2 years and I totally bawled like a baby the last day of school.
How special that you were able to go back and be with your seniors for the last day! What an awsome teacher you are to feel that way about your kids, you are so passionate! You will be the best mom when your kids are teenagers!
What an amazing opportunity to be a part of these student lives. You've been able to touch so many hearts and minds. How rewarding!
This was such a touching post - about made me cry. That has to be a very rewarding yet emotionally tugging job. Sweet story...
Post a Comment