Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Reality Check

We are 5 days into summer and I'm already having a reality check. What I thought would be a welcome change of routine for the little guy has really wreaked havoc around here. How quickly I forget that he thrives on his rigid schedule and change is just hard - even if it means sleeping in. After a few rough days sprinkled with tantrums and other unwelcome behaviors I haven't seen in a while, I had a little melt down of my own last night. So this morning I tried to get things back on track.

We got up early, just like during the school year, ate breakfast together while I read scriptures, I held "school" for 20 minutes after we cleared our plates (worked on handwriting and then colored) and then we read a few of our new books. The TV stayed off while the kids worked on puzzles until it was time to go to city swim lessons. Though the morning was not completely tantrum free, it was an improvement. Sigh.

On a fun note, the kids got their summer fun bags this morning. My friend found these cute totes, perfect for trips to the library, at the dollar store. I had ordered $1-3 books from the last Scholastic book order, and they both got their annual Americana shirts. The submarine has been in hiding for a few months and the train puzzle was from our Christmas stash (Do you have one? If the kids get overwhelmed at Christmas from the volume of gifts, we hide a few for a later date.) I spent less than $20 on the whole affair.

I love traditions and I'm excited to continue this one every year. It's a fun way to kick off summer and get them reading!

5 comments:

Alison said...

Ooh, Summer Fun Bags! I'm totally stealing that one.

autumn said...

i LOVE "hooray for fish"!! it was one of the first books i checked out of the library for chloe when we moved here and i still quote it sometimes: kiss, kiss, kiss, hooray for fish! it was only a few dollars?? i must find a scholastic connection.

Melissa said...

I clicked on one of your buttons on the side of your blog and saw this...http://secretstitchclub.blogspot.com/2010/02/stick-people-have-home.html

I thought it would be cool to make for your son (in boy colors) so he can see his new summer schedule. Just the special education teacher in me, but knowing you have it too, you probably have something bigger and better already in made?

Beka said...

great idea- saving some gifts for summer time! I always get excited to spoil my childrenat Chrismastime & of course they could care less as long as they get a few good toys:) Your always so full of fun traditions!!

Kari said...

Love this idea Rach!