Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Can you can?


Learning how to can was on my New Year's resolution list this year. This morning I finally checked that off my list. I think this could get addicting! Thanks to my friend Ashley, I realized just how easy canning really is. I'm excited to try some different types of meat and eventually venture into the world of sauces.

Do you can? I'd love some ideas for the future. Tell me your favorite recipes, seasonings, methods, etc...

6 comments:

mad white woman said...

I have canned peaches, pears and chicken. And that's it. I got the Ball Canning Recipe book and have really been wanting to venture out and actually can a RECIPE not just an item. If you ever want to try something new with me, let me know. I need peer motivation on these things. :)

Nash said...

molly wright does alot of it. she just did pickles. i would LOVE to do it, but i need someone to hold my hand. if you do it again, i want in.

Nancy Pitney said...

I've got some apples from my mom's tree that I'm going to can into apple pie filling (I still have 4 jars of applesauce from last year). I figure I will make a whole lot more apple pies if all I have to do is dump the filling in the crust! And of course, I do lots of jam because you don't need the water bath to seal it (you just turn the hot jars over for about an hour and the heat from the jam seals it for you!). Good luck!

lrbodine said...

I have no idea how to can! Totally on my to-do list.... one day.

Rachel said...

Apple pie filling sounds like a must! I think I'll have to try fruity stuff towards the end of summer. I canned pinto beans last night and they're really good! Next up for me is London Broil.

Jamie said...

Awesome! I want to get canning! I REALLY want to can chicken.