Thursday, June 24, 2010

Priorities

I got them all wrong today.
I love this picture even though she's not looking at the camera.

I have been a stress case this week. I'm teaching summer school - fun, but reminded me how hard it is to be a working mom; working with insurance companies from our car accident a few weeks ago - nightmare; broke a molar this week - expensive; trying to embrace my church calling - fake it til I make it; and in the midst of all of this stuff I forgot my most important job.

I was literally glued to the computer and phone this morning trying to get everything done on my list and meet everyone's deadlines when the kids started arguing and I almost broke into tears. I quickly realized they didn't want cartoons, snacks, or toys - they just wanted me. I was sad that we passed up two fun activities today so I could "get stuff done" and regret canceling my plans with them to meet other peoples needs. While I realize some things have to be handled during hours when my children aren't sleeping, I also realized that sometimes I just have to put things on hold, or even say no. (gasp) When the insurance guy showed up to assess the damage to our car, he was an elderly man who immediately doted on my children. I felt a pang of guilt as they clung to his attention since I was not giving them much.

So when Brooke led me to her room and wanted to try on all of her hats for a while, I was grateful for her quick forgiveness for neglecting her this morning and I dutifully donned every sunhat she placed upon my head. She was giddy to have a playmate that catered to her every whim. And Ty wanted to cuddle and watch a movie with me instead of laying down for a nap, so I let him pick his favorite flick and held him until he fell asleep.

I have to work again tomorrow. But Saturday and Sunday I am giving my kids all the attention they've missed this week. Especially today.

Oh, when will I learn?

2 comments:

Beka said...

its a daily battle...you're not alone:)

d.jo said...

This made me cry!