Meet Pete and Rosie. We love them. Our HOA does not. But since I called anonymously to ask permission to have chickens they don't know who we are. Yet. I'm a little miffed - only because I have heard some chickens and even a rooster in our subdivision on my morning jogs. So perhaps I am the only one who bothered to call the HOA for a blessing. My rebel husband says we're keeping them until we get caught. Now I'm looking over my shoulder all the time because I'm breaking a rule. It reminds me of the time I ditched school to go shopping with my friend in high school. Within 5 minutes of getting home I blurted out that I had ditched, making a full confession to my parents because I couldn't stand the secrecy of it all. I know, I'm a real square.
So until someone calls us out, we have chickens.
Brooke adores them. I have to feed them when she's not around or she'll pull up some gravel next to them and join them for corn and lettuce bits. Not joking. But I frequently find her leaning over them, rambling away in a very matter of fact voice accompanied by hand gestures. I'd love to know what she's saying to them. "Get out while you can."? That's my guess.
Ty thinks they're great too, but for other reasons. He rather enjoys startling them so they take off running and a great chase ensues. He never tires of this game, though I wonder if they do.
So meals with Brooke, and an exercise program with Ty - we are providing them with the utmost health care at our home.
I just hope they grow to their full size and give us a few eggs before we have to find a new home for them.
And shhh....if anyone from our HOA asks, we don't have chickens.
We have birds.
Apparently those are acceptable.





6 comments:
Awesome! I want chickens really bad. But I'm afraid I won't know how to take care of them and they'll die. You are so good to call the HOA, I wouldn't even bother asking. :)
I'm with Trent. Keep them until the HOA finds out. You only have 2, it's not like you're raising 20. Funny that birds are allowed and chickens are birds, but just not the right kind I guess! Dang HOAs!
I'd keep them, too. Brooke will make them feel part of the family with conversation and Ty will make sure they know the meaning of "free range!"
Pete and Rose, I love it. They look young? Are they not laying eggs yet? You will love them when they do. My boys like to chase them in their little tykes 4 wheelers. Good luck with the HOA!
HOA - That's code for Nazi in English.
Its funny both of those chickens are girls ( at least you hope- when the start laying). Never knew Pete was a girls name =p
This is my first time visiting your blog. My sister sent me a link to this post because we're in the same boat. We really want chickens, have researched what it takes to take care of them, planned out a coop and then my husband checked to see if we could have them. The city says yes, our HOA says no. But our CC&Rs were written almost 20 years ago and nobody pays attention to them so we may ask permission or we may just do it anyway. We're undecided. I'm glad you decided to get them anyway. :)
Post a Comment