Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Wheels on the Bus

Look at my handsome little boy. At 3 years and 1 day old he started his journey in the public school system. I feel a little sad that he has to give up a bit of his childhood luxuries so young, like sleeping in and staying in pj's until well after lunch if he feels like it. But I know how great his special preschool program will be. He started Monday morning and since we enrolled right before spring break we weren't in the rounds for bus pick up yet. I didn't mind driving him anyway, especially on his first day. Isn't he just so handsome? (Nod at this point.)
Waving goodbye to daddy and Brooke as we head to the car.
I received an unexpected call 15 minutes before his program released letting me know the bus would bring him home. I waited anxiously for him to come back home. You can just make out his cute little head through the window.
He loved riding the bus so much, as well as his bus driver. She let him hold a big stuffed dinosaur while he sat in his seat. He loved the experience so much that he threw a pretty impressive tantrum shortly after this picture was taken. He tried very to get back on the bus and cried for 20 minutes after she pulled away, mumbling "my bus...my bus...".
This morning was the first day the bus picked him up from our house to take him to school. Things did not go quite as smoothly. He was anxious about leaving me and wanted me to sit next to him. My heart ached a little as I left him weeping on the bus. I know he'll get the hang of it soon. The morning bus picks him up so early - we've been forced to set alarm clocks. Gone are the days of rolling out of bed when we feel like it.

It has been fun to spend some one on one time with Brooke. I have been dropping her off here and there for over a year while I took Ty to therapy sessions and she has been such a trooper. We have such a fun time in the mornings doing chores and shopping, or even crawling back in bed for a little while. And before I know it, it's time to go outside and wait for Ty's bus to bring him back to me. When he comes home I am so excited to see him that I feel like I could burst. I'm probably a better mom because I truly miss him when he's gone and then think of fun ways to spend our afternoon together when he comes home. And that makes everyone happy.

6 comments:

Alison said...

I know I couldn't handle the bus, no matter how old they were. You're a much better mom than I am.

Kara said...

When we did a neighborhood preschool with some mom's in the Ward. Layne was convinced that it wasn't "real" school because there was no school bus. He would be so jelous of Ty.

The Blakes said...

Not better, Alison, just trying it out. :) They told me about the bus back in Nov when we started the process and I flatly refused at first. Everyone convinced me that it would be best for Ty to give him some sensory input (bouncy ride) before having to sit still for a lengthy period of time. But part of me wants to let him sleep in another half hour and just take him myself.

Nancy Pitney said...

I just wanted to say that he is a handsome boy and he has a pretty hot mama too! I'm sure he'll do better on Friday!

Jenna said...

I literally just nodded while reading. Just like you told me to, because he sure is cute. So you restrained yourself from following the bus to school in your car? :)

Beka said...

so cute...little ty on the school bus-crazy!! broooke is a lucky girl to get more one on one time too:) how fun!