Monday, December 14, 2009

Exasperated

My two and half year is old driving me nuts. We've surmised that he is acting out to upstage Brooke's new talent of walking. How dare she take any attention away from him! That mixed in with a lot of cabin fever from being under the weather has brought out the animal in him. So he's reverted back to a few bad habits - such as hitting, head butting and now biting. Ugh. He's never been a biter. I'm gleaning every last bit of patience from my insides and mustering up as much sincere empathy as I can to get through this, but mostly I'm just praying it passes soon.

But then he has his redeeming moments when he reverts back to the little boy we've become accustomed to. Like tonight. After multiple attempts to get him to eat the dinner that was originally prepared, I decided I'd rather him have a full belly and sleep through the night than pick yet another battle with him. So I made him his favorite meal. Oatmeal. As I set it on the table in front of him, completely exasperated with his cantankerous demeanor, he looked at me quite seriously and gestured for me to fold my arms. He then bowed his head, blessed his food, and polished off two servings of oatmeal. When he was finished he took his bowl to the sink, laid himself down for a diaper change, and politely requested his bedtime milk.

And at church on Sunday he insisted on sitting in the pew in front of us. It was vacant so we let him be. When the opening song began he grabbed the nearest hymn book, opened it, and sang his little heart out. It warmed my heart and gave me the giggles. Even the otherwise cross elderly lady on the end of Ty's row looked over and smiled at his off key contribution.

I guess I'll keep him.

He's too cute to give away.

3 comments:

Beka said...

cant live with em...cant live without em:)!! sweet little boys! so sweet!

Alison said...

Hey, oatmeal's a perfectly good dinner, and every kid goes through a few "satan has taken over my body today" stages. Hang in there and don't forget my motherhood motto:
"I don't negotiate with terrorists!"

Kari said...

Oatmeal is Caleb's favorite food. He would eat that twice a day if he could. I have the same moments with all my children! If Mom pays attention to one, the other gets jealous. They all have their moments. :)

I dont know if your therapists have told you this trick yet, but whenever Caleb is "acting out" I take him outside to swing or jump on the trampoline. Using his big muscle groups gets some stimulation to his brain and helps him overcome the need to hit, push or act out. Hope that helps! Love ya girl!