Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Rejuvinated

I had a glorious weekend in Connecticut. The lush green countryside was beautiful, and my jaw dropped as we drove past incredible homes owned by Ralph Lauren, Mel Gibson and the like. The atmosphere was so different that I felt like a foreigner, yet I couldn't get enough of the local culture. I didn't take my camera - intentionally. I knew Alison would snap a few cute shots of Brooke, but I also thought it would be nice to take in the sights, sounds and smells of a new landscape that only my mind would take pictures of. Besides, we were too busy having fun most of the time to stop and find a camera.

I felt guilty my first day there. Guilty that I left my little boy and husband, guilty that I needed a break from my own brand of chaos. But as the weekend unraveled I was able to relax and regroup, guilty feelings replaced with a sense of purpose. Not only was I traveling to visit a golden friend for social reasons, I knew she would give me fresh ideas and a good dose of perspective.

In between fun escapades to Stew Leonard's (if only they would build one in the Phoenix area), berry picking, my first snooty-poo BBQ and the private beach in Greenwhich, I spent much time immersed in Alison's brand of chaos. (4 kids, cozy house) I felt like an observant pupil, mentally taking notes of healthy and delicious recipes, parenting techniques, gardening tidbits, and how to be a gracious host. It was nice to sit back and watch someone else play the role of metronome - providing the steady beat that the family orchestra relies upon.

While my good friend is not perfect, she is efficient, frugal, resourceful and fun. I want to be like her when I grow up. (Since she is a whole year older than me, I get to say that for the rest of our lives.) We mulled over her fabric bucket and patterns looking for perfect combinations, planned menus, discussed which clothing brands hold their value, lamented our bodies post childbirth, and talked about our challenges and triumphs in life. In the meantime, her children entertained Brooke, renaming her Calvina, and betrothed her to Calvin who is two weeks her junior.

We didn't make it to a movie, to the big city, or really anywhere without 3 kids and two babies in tow. But it was just the kind of getaway I needed. I came home armed with a charged battery and a lot of fresh ideas. I am reminded how important it is that mothers take care of themselves or they cannot fully give to those they love the most. As for my household, the ripple effect has already begun.

Thanks Al

4 comments:

Beka said...

i'm glad you had a great relaxing trip! we need to get together.

Nancy Pitney said...

It sounds like it was just what you needed. By the way, you are always so eloquent in your posts. I enjoy reading them! Did you teach English and did you focus on word choice?! :-)

mad white woman said...

Makes me want to go on a vacation right now. Especially somewhere green... and with a good friend.

Cara Fish said...

Glad you had so much fun...yes, please remember to take care of you.