I usually do not proclaim love for summer. I prefer fall or the two week stint we call spring around here. I loved summer when I was a teenager...I was thin, tan, had naturally bleach blond hair and loved my job coaching summer swim team and lifeguarding. Since mothering two fair skinned babies (and the residual padding that has remained) has tossed my sun tanning days to the wayside I have come to resent summer. Yet this summer has been different. I think I set such low expectations, knowing I had two tots to tote, that I have been pleasantly surprised by how much fun we are having.
Here are a few reasons why I can honestly say, I heart summer this year.
The food. Does it shock you that I begin with this? It shouldn't. I never tire of fresh berries for breakfast, butternut squash or yummy salads for lunch, and corn on the cob with nearly every dinner meal. Tonight Trent grilled turkey burgers and I topped mine with lettuce, garden tomato and avacado. Add a side of corn on the cob, fresh pineapple wedges and a cool drink. Yum.
The road trips. I seriously need my head examined for committing to so many summer trips. The nights are rough because Ty doesn't sleep well when removed from his environment. However, the fabulous weather and quality company has made each of our trips worthwhile. The only thing missing from our travelogue this summer is the beach - but maybe we can still squeeze that in. And really, any extra time I get with my cute husband makes me happy.
The outings. We have had a plethora of play dates this summer with some of my old friends. I appreciate friends who open their homes to my children and I for a few hours of relief from our cramped abode. Or those willing to meet us at fun venues like the museum or the zoo. There's nothing like melting in the sun with a good friend at the zoo with a gaggle of whiny kids in tow. We've frequented the library, gone to movies with cousins, swam until Ty was drunk from chlorinated pool water, and enjoyed family excursions with Trent nearly every Tuesday afternoon. I only hope to fit a few more play dates in with more friends before much more time passes (Beka, Courtney, Jamie....just to name a few.)
The lazy days. I have grown rather fond of the days when we have no plans at all. This morning we got out the finger paints while still in our pajamas. I somehow fit in a load of laundry between the art project and playing cars, but I reveled in the decision to not feel guilty if chores got done or not. Lately I have put the kids in Ty's bedroom to play while cleaning and have spied on Ty explaining the many uses of the spoon to Brooke, or the design modification of the old Fisher Price cow compared to the modern one. At least I'm pretty sure that's what he's discussing. He is a sweet big brother and I love watching him introduce his favorite toys and books to his sister.
My kids aren't old enough for school, yet I find myself dreading the end of summer. I will gladly welcome cooler weather and park dates, but I am content with summer and would like time to stand still for a bit. Maybe I just don't want them to get any older. Not just yet.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
have i told you i always love reading your blog? you always make everything sound so enticing:)
and i'm still anxiously waiting for our playdate too:)
I love you...
Post a Comment