One Box
I've been cleaning out my room gradually. I started with the boring stuff, filing cabinets and bookshelves. But this week I took down the personal stuff. Pictures of former students and spirit line squads; handmade gifts of ceramics, stained glass and wood shop creations. The civil rights quilt that my class of all boys made the year I was determined to soften them up. My desk drawer had countless Happy Grams from colleagues, cards and notes from students, and odds and ends I confiscated or was given over the years. CD's made as end of the year gifts with class "soundtracks" and anthems were just too nostalgic to go in the trash, even though I haven't played some of them in years. So I carefully selected which items were important enough to go into one bankers box. I told myself I was only allowed to fill one box with mementos. The memories would have to suffice in place of the rest. Memories of wearing stinky football jerseys on behalf of my student athletes on game day, memories of the moments when there was a breakthrough...a look of "I get it" on a students face, memories of faces - so many faces.
A Calling
I've always thought of teaching as my calling, my place in this world. By no means was I the ideal teacher for every student, but I always felt like I belonged in the classroom. The truth is, I am intimidated by full time motherhood. I admire those already enlisted in the ranks, and hope my attempt is not disastrous. I know I'm making the right decision, but it was hard for me to make...harder than it would have been for some. Not because I don't relish the idea of being with my kids all day, but because I have loved my profession.
Saying Goodbye
I waddled around campus today trying to say goodbye personally to those who meant the most to me. Lots of hugs were exchanged, well wishing, and promises that we would meet again. If only it could be that simple. I went back to my room and remembered the summer my neighboring teacher, Terri, and I decided to paint our urine colored walls a soft white. Our trailer near the football field was not coveted by other teachers, but we loved being on the edge of campus, away from the crazy commotion in the main building. Eventually we got new carpet, decorated walls with student projects and creations, and our trailer became a home away from home. I gave the room one long, last gaze before I headed out the door this afternoon. I hope the next teacher that occupies it will keep it a safe haven.
Happy Ending
So as I taught a full lesson to each class today, I only spent the last 10 minutes or so giving them "the speech". The speech is usually delivered on their last day, but this was my last chance to give it. I left them with this quote and told them how much greatness they each possessed.
‘Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond imagination. It is our light more than our darkness which scares us. We ask ourselves – who are we to be brilliant, beautiful, talented, and fabulous. But honestly, who are you to not be so?
You are a child of God, small games do not work in this world. For those around us to feel peace, it is not example to make ourselves small. We were born to express the glory of god that lives in us. It is not in some of us, it is in all of us. While we allow our light to shine, we unconsciously give permission for others to do the same. When we liberate ourselves from our own fears, simply our presence may liberate others.’
Marianne Williamson
My goal was to get through the day without any tears. A bit of a challenge for someone who is prone to tears regardless of a pregnancy. I nearly broke when my students applauded at the end of 3rd period. If you had been on the journey with us this semester, especially with a certain group of challenging young men who sat in the back row, you would know why this meant so much. But not a tear fell. I made it to my car with dignity intact, with a very full box of memoirs, and with an overflowing heart. In fact, the first tear is falling right now as I type this entry. I vividly remember days when I was so anxious to be at this point in my life. Well, I have arrived. But I will never forget the road I took to get here and the lessons I learned while teaching. Surely I'm not finished, I just have a smaller class now...Ty and Brooke.
Let the journey continue...





10 comments:
Hello Coach Anderson! I stalk you blog. I want you to know although I wasn't a student in your classroom, I witnessed your teaching because I was an aide for you. You are an amazing teacher and I have always admired the path of teaching you chose. My plan was to become a teacher but for whatever reasons I haven't quite made it there. The beauty about feeling a need to teach is that teaching can be done in any aspect of life, not just in the classroom. And you are a great teacher.
Hey, remember how you were the first person to ever give me flowers? Thanks. Sadly, I have only received one other bouquet. :) And how when you first met me you thought I was a tumbler because my arms were "ripped"? That made me feel cool. And remember when Kim and I went to lunch with you? That was fun.
Also, I have been meaning to confess that I am a stalker of your blog and tell you how darn cute your little boy is. SO cute!! And I can't wait to see your cute little girl!! Email me your address and I will send her a little something :)
lindseejo@gmail.com
You can do it! It's very very hard to say goodbye to a world where you are paid, appreciated, and recognized and move into one where you are criticized, barfed on, and yelled at. Just remember that your kids at school will most likely remember you for years to come, but your kids at home couldn't do it without you.
I have seen you in action with some pretty rough boys. I loved even though how rough they were, they walked in your classroom with a smile, knowing they were going to have fun and maybe learn a little something too. I couldn't help but smile the entire time I was in class with you. You are so great with your students and with your dancers. You will be missed and you will be remembered by so many students. You will never forget those moments and I'm sure someday you'll find yourself back with students again. Good job Rach, you are such a good person and I CAN'T believe you didn't cry the whole day. I would've and I'm not a crier.
But at the same time.... YEAH! for no more work. Bring on the baby girl. :)
You'll be a great full time mom! I'm so glad that you had a wonderful last day at work too. I can't wait for that baby to come!
Oh, Rach! I know how sad you must feel! I know how much you loved teaching (on most days) and how good you were at it! My thoughts are with you - I am glad you can see some silver lining called Ty and Brooke!
That was very inspirational! You'll find all kinds of things to keep you busy when your a mom. there will be a time for teaching again! whe are you going to have that baby!
Rachel, I never saw you in teaching mode but I have heard you talk about your teaching and your students and there is no doubt in my mind that you were a great teacher...because you LOVE your students and you love your job. I'm glad that I got to live vicariously through you as a teacher. Thanks for letting me me help you decorate your room that one year, that meant a lot to me, believe it or not (oh, and for treating me to a diet coke afterwards). You will be an equally great mother!
Hello??? What a good friend am i...didnt even realize last Friday was your last teaching day, i thought you were going to the end...i almost came to tears reading your post. Course i never had you as a teacher:), but you've taught me lots as a friend...Mesa High will never be the same without you!!!
I just wanted to say that I hope that I find something in my life that I can be as passionate about as you are about teaching. I am in the midst of trying to find out what I want to do with my life... and I can just hope that it will fill me with inspiration and passion like teaching obviously did for you!
Oh Rachel,
I feel you there. I to have the same fears... although I am not at the point of leaving a job behind. How do I feel about just having that one thing to do..be a mom. Never the less, the best mom out there. My advice, start a small business making aprons for me :) Will fill you in later. Congrats on your last day, see you soon!
Post a Comment