Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dreamy


So I told myself I wouldn't write a silly post about a John Mayer concert. But I just can't help it. This is the only concert I have gone to faithfully every year he's come to Phoenix (with the exception of summer 2006...I'd rather not dwell on it) and so it is because of this commitment that I will refer to him simply as John, as though we are old friends.

Some of my friends have posted recently about obsessions. I would hardly call John an obsession. Yet I felt like a school girl as soon as he started swooning tonight. I couldn't help tapping my toes, singing along, and even swaying at times. I went with my timeless, ageless friend Craig, who absorbed the atmosphere (and the lingering scent of illegal substances) along with me. This was one of my favorite concerts he has ever put on. He seemed to thoroughly enjoy entertaining, like he was just having a jam session.

Some of the highlights of the night:

The unlikely older lady across the aisle from me who looked out of place...as though she may be a librarian by day, but was rockin' out with the best of us.

The scantily clad young woman several rows up who was obviously enjoying herself before the concert even began. She was escorted away by security about halfway through the show.

John's personal renditions of Madonna, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, and Guns n' Roses songs. He rocked...literally.

Having an epiphany during the opening song Bigger Than My Body that has inspired my students first writing assignment the first week of school. I love those epiphanies. Thanks John.

John's new military haircut. Wow. I was skeptical when he walked out in capri's, but he can pretty much wear whatever he wants.

The encore. I don't remember getting one last year. This year he played an extra four songs. Totally worth every penny.

Wandering the parking lot looking for Craig's car. For nearly half an hour. And running into people we knew while we hunted it down. Loved it.

Stopping at QT for drinks on the way home. It wouldn't be an outing with Craig without a QT run.

If John wasn't currently involved in a relationship, he may have looked twice at a pregnant groupie like me. But I'm a happily married woman and it would just never work out. I'm just glad he has someone to occupy him since I am obviously unavailable.

Until next year...

7 comments:

Auburn said...

and he is just fabulous . . . isn't he?

Jill Manning said...

It sounds like you and John have a very understanding relationship, I'm so glad for that. You are a great spokesperson for John because ever since I have met you, I have been wanting to go to one of his concerts, and to hear him sing "Your Body is A Wonderland." I'm glad you got to go and enjoy yourself, you deserve that time with John.

Preston Smith said...

I have reluctantly seen John twice in my life... and enjoyed both times. By law of 'man'dom I must admit that i don't like him... but every now and then, when no one is around, I sing 'your body is a wonderland' in high falsetto.

Jamie said...

Oh you lucky girl, you! I'm glad you were able to go. Remind me when you buy your tickets next year. I may want to go. I love his new hair cut too. I hope he knows what a great fan he has in you.

Tessa said...

I have infact witnessed my brother singing john in high falsetto... ha! Glad you had a wonderful time! I love going to concerts where the music is such a part of you that you feel like you know the artist personally!

Happy Trails!

Nash said...

I had to tell my husband about this cause he is NOT a john mayer fan, ever since my sister lived with us and he had that first song....."i wanna run through the halls of my HS" that one. my sis would play it loud over and over and she would sing loud. I think he just got sick of it. And I like "say what you wanna say" even if he repeats it 8 times each chorus. My husband was bugged again until he heard Colin Cowherd on sports talk say he is a huge john mayer fan in spite of his lack of words. So, I think paul is coming around now, cause he likes the sport guy. Sorry about the novel.
Annnnnnnd, anyone who like jennifer aniston is ok with me. I am curious about his new 'DO cause I can't picture it. (they seem kinda droopy but maybe its just the few pics I have seen of him>
I love michael buble.

Kim said...

I LOVE JOHN MAYER TOO!! His concert was so so so amazing! I made the joke with my friends that I would marry him tats and all if he would sing me to sleep every night! haha it was such a good concert! and he is amazingly cute with his hair cut! :)