Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Safford and Such

This picture pretty much sums up our weekend in Safford...rain! Every time I pulled the camera out, the light sprinkling turned to a downpour. We still had a good time at the Pioneer Day festivities. Last year the parade was rained out, but we saw it in all it's small town glory this year. The BBQ dinner was as yummy as ever, Ty chowed down on kettle corn, and the fireworks were splendid, though we only saw a few from the car. Ty had a major meltdown right as the fireworks began. Grandpa Blake tried to convince us to tough out the rain, but a toddler and a pregnant lady can only take so much!

Trent always enjoys visiting his surrogate parents - both Smith families. They are such good people and I am still thankful to them for their influence on Trent while he was growing up. They also tried to convince Trent to move back to Safford to work, and he's actually considering it! More on that later.



I finally documented Ty asking for "more". After months of attempting to teach him basic sign language, this is the only sign he makes consistently. (I'm sure because it involves food most of the time.) He claps his hands together whenever he is requesting more of something. For all of you proficient ASL peeps, it's not the correct sign, but we know what it means at our house. Ty had already finished his dinner, but decided to beg daddy for some of his sweet corn too. Don't mind Ty's lack of manners...eating of the floor isn't so bad, right?

6 comments:

Nash said...

As long as you and he understand each other then you are successful.
Vance's signs often became more refined as he progressed. For awhile his "more" was his pointer fingers touching which is "hurt". It's so nice when you realize you have gotten through to them.

The Parkers said...

Oh, you and my mother, both rubbing it in! "I got to hang out with Rachel and Trent!" "I got to hang out with your mom and dad!" :P

Nina Jones said...

SAFFORD, AZ I am amazed.... I am glad all is going well we are excited for Trent to be almost done.......

Tessa said...

Mom and I are still very sad that we missed you guys! We are also sad that we missed the 24th of July festivities it is always a good time... but I hope you had a good time and it sounds like you did. My dad said that Ty was "So Darn Cute" and that is very high praise coming from dad. My only complaint is that as soon as I leave it rains... I think the Rain Gods hate me!!!!

I am interested to know about this trying to convince Trent to move to Safford thing... I am definately intrigued...

Happy Trails!!

Christie said...

It looks like you had a great time! I 've always heard that small towns throw great parties.

Nancy Pitney said...

Hey, I have read the Secret Life of Bees and I loved it! I can't wait to see how they translate the book into a movie. It's very interesting. I also read the Mermaid Chair (by the same author), but didn't like it at all. (Erin Bethel did, but there you go!) Hope you enjoy it! You'll have to let me know what you thought when you're done!