Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oh What Do You Do in the Summertime?

I have been looking forward to July since I went back to work last fall because I knew I had no commitments of any sort. Well, here it is - July - and it's so dang hot that my bubble has burst a little. I'm loving sleeping in an hour every day, loving being home with Ty, but wishing we could do half the things I'd envisioned we would do on my break. Between a tight budget and the dreadful heat, we mostly just stay home. If we don't run errands before 11, we don't usually go. And our cramped living room/play area is starting to drive both Ty and I bonkers! Even the swimming pool feels like bath water. Grammy Blake told us to come stay at our summer home in Oregon (her house) next July, and I'm very tempted to do just that.

However, we went to a very fun BBQ for Independence Day last weekend, and we've been checking off more home improvement projects.




HOME IMPROVEMENTS
Trent put a fresh coat of white paint in the master bath and put in new hardware. It's amazing what a coat of paint and $20 in Walmart hardware can do to improve the looks of a room. We are slowly repainting all of the rooms in the house, white, to prep it for future renters (or buyers). Hopefully we'll be in a house in about a year. (Knock on wood)

THE BIG PURGE
I've spent my time trying to make room for this baby. Our 3rd bedroom is our office/guest room/food storage facility. We had to indulge in a real storage unit and have been slowly moving things we can't part with. I have gone through every bin and every drawer and we created a pile for DI so large that it completely filled my trunk plus some seat space, and that's just from smaller items. It's amazing what you collect over the years. It's a tedious process that will be ongoing for the next few weeks. In the meantime, our little girl finally has a corner of one closet to call her own.

I let Ty take extra long baths to keep him entertained these days.

We invested in this sad looking hoop from DI. The $5 splurge has already served its purpose!

So what are you all doing to keep your sanity this summer?
I'd love some ideas! Especially those of you with squirrelly toddlers who don't like sitting in strollers (which rules out the mall's free AC), and have no refuge?

Lastly, note the countdown clock to the right! 50 days til Trent finishes his program! And then a month until his boards, and then on to employment! So the countdown is not entirely accurate, but still, it's hard to believe we're nearing the end of this road. Good times indeed!

6 comments:

Jamie said...

I do go to the mall still and I never let Trey play in the play area but this summer I've made an exception, he loves it and that is probably where he picked up that virus. :( I would normally go to a Mesa pool but little Grady would hate that. Oh and grady only has a half closet too and shares a room with dad's computer, etc. I can't wait until I can put his crib together and make him a room but it does work for now. Good luck with the de-cluttering. It does feel so good. :)

lrbodine said...

We've been doing swim lessons at Carson Jr. High. They are just $16 for the last session that starts on Monday (you can sign up on site that morning.

And then splash parks have been my best friend this summer! It lets Ellie run around but still enjoy the sun because she is wet. I usually join her since it's too hot for me to sit outside. And it's free! Tons of them around here also.

The Parkers said...

I love that you put white shirts on both your boys in the pool! :)
We wash the car a lot (late in the evening if it's too hot during the day), we make "houses" out of cardboard, we go to the free movies, and we eat funny things that the kids make. (we go to the beach a lot too, but I thought that'd be just plain mean to put down.)

Nash said...

that was a great post.
Good luck with all the organizing, and sorting.
We are going to hit a really nice splash park (so i hear) if you want to join us.

Sarah Williams said...

ha! told you you'd like working a little=) anyway, i think you should get a gym membership. that takes care of the afternoons and gives Ty a little friend break and you a "workout" (or break....shhhh don't tell anyone). theres a website for azmoms thats got all kinds of stuff on it. i'm kinda out of that phase now. the older kids entertain the younger ones- woohoo. maybe you should find some older kids to come hang out over there.

mad white woman said...

Popsicles. Lots and lots of popsicles. Free movies, spray bottles, swimming, splash parks, the Zoo (when it's not so humid, the mornings aren't too horrible, but I'm also not prego), errands (Target... but that can get expenseive for me), neighbor visits, doing dishes (Clara's potentially favorite afternoon activity) and just having fun.

I dread the day I have to make room for another one in this house; I already feel we've reached max capacity.