We spent the rest of the evening looking at old photos. Last Saturday I dropped off over a dozen envelopes of 35mm film negatives to Costco to put on discs. Over 200 negatives were from Trent's mission, and another 150 were from our wedding. $100 later (but well worth the cost) we finally have a lot of great memories in digital format. Trent especially had a great time reminiscing about his mission and the people he served. With so many to choose from, I could hardly decide which ones to post. But here are a few I liked from his walk down memory lane tonight.

He spent almost as much time helping in orphanages and doing service projects as he did proselytizing.
Apparently Russian graffiti was often misspelled in English.This was not the only picture of this nature.
I loved the stories behind the pictures. Especially since some of the photos seemed so unnecessary and obscure. But whether the story involved a companion with severe diarrhea, sightseeing adventures, or just goofing around, his memory of life in Russia was pretty amazing.
Tomorrow is the big 3-0 for me. I feel pretty indifferent about this birthday but I've seen variations of this fun post going around and thought I'd put it up for the rest of the week. I've decided that one of the best gift is the gift of time, so I'd love to hear about a fun/special time you remember with me. It fits in well with the nostalgia theme thats been lingering in our home this week.
1. As a comment on my blog, leave a memory that you and I had together. It doesn't matter if you know me a little or a lot, anything you remember! If we're only blogging friends, write about a post that is the most memorable for you.
2. Next, re-post these instructions on your blog and see how many people leave a memory about you. If you leave a memory about me, I'll be sure to write one about you...!
3. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. And please do this on your page, too, so we can all share in the fun times together. :)
Tomorrow is the big 3-0 for me. I feel pretty indifferent about this birthday but I've seen variations of this fun post going around and thought I'd put it up for the rest of the week. I've decided that one of the best gift is the gift of time, so I'd love to hear about a fun/special time you remember with me. It fits in well with the nostalgia theme thats been lingering in our home this week.
1. As a comment on my blog, leave a memory that you and I had together. It doesn't matter if you know me a little or a lot, anything you remember! If we're only blogging friends, write about a post that is the most memorable for you.
2. Next, re-post these instructions on your blog and see how many people leave a memory about you. If you leave a memory about me, I'll be sure to write one about you...!
3. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. And please do this on your page, too, so we can all share in the fun times together. :)







18 comments:
Happy Birthday!!
Good for you, getting all of your important pics to digital. Negatives will start to decay so digital is definitely the best to preserve them!
My memory of you is when you were my Relief Society Pres. in 54th Ward. You always made me laugh and feel the spirit whenever you taught or bore your testimony to us sisters. I also still have and listen to the CD that you compiled for all of us one year. I love you Rachel!
Happy 30! I really did remember all this week, and am going to call you today.
As for my favorite memory, I can't narrow it down. I will say this - I hold you responsible for my marriage since you were the one who talked me into going on that blind date where I really got to know Jake (he was not my date, but I think Kohl's ok with that now. )
Love you bunches!
-Al
I didn't know Trent served in Russia, so did Dave. He was in Vladivostok for some of the time too. When he was in Russia there was only one mission, and now there are eight, so he was all over! I remember the very first time I met you at an activity in 54th ward. I had just moved to Arizona a week or two before meeting you. You were wearing jeans and a black t-shirt. You were RS pres, and you came up to me and we started talking. I somehow mentioned that I was going on a date with Dave Ellingson and you said, "good luck getting a second date with him!" ;o)
Happy Birthday Rachel. I hope that the weather lets up a little for your special day so that you can enjoy in some other way than in the house.
A fond memory I have with you...its so hard to just pick one. Would I breaking the rules if I listed more than one? First, is when went and got pedicures together for visiting teaching, that was awesome! You have always been so quick to invite me to do things with you and so when we first moved into the ward and you invited me to come to your house during a priesthood session to watching chick flicks, work on craft projects and just hang out, that made me feel so special. And I think my most fondest was when you let me help you decorate your classroom at the beginning of the year. I have always wanted to be a teacher and I have always lived vicariously through you and your stories and so to be in your classroom and see all the time and energy you put into your work was so inspiring and fun. I hope I did a good job and it was up to your standards but I really appreciated that opportunity (as silly and small as it sounds, it was a huge thing for me). And of course, all the Settlers game nights, oh my gosh, those were a blast!
Dude, Rachel, this post was awesome, talk about nostalgia - the mission reflection, the Life of Christ, with the music in the background. Really moving. Thank!!
One memory I have of you (before we saw you in Kohl's with your double stroller and new baby boy) :) was the Christmas party at your house during the singles ward days. You were (are) so PRETTY!! I just remember big smiles, red (outfit, lipstick maybe), friendly visiting with everyone. I thought you were more MY age, but honey you're younger! (By about a year, but still, younger!) Pace talks about when he would see you at Mesa High, maybe eat lunch together. HE says you're a great person too! :)
PS - How are you getting your negatives into CD format? IS there a company you've chosen? I saw that comment and started to research a little - it's kind pf pricey so far. I just have mission photos that I'd love to get into CD format (makes life way more organized, your nostalgia post made me think of them). :) Anyway, there not too old (just 5 yrs is all) so they don't need restoration... Let me know what you've found out, please ok? Thanks!
I didn't know Trent went to Vladivostok?! One of my companions was from there. What year did he serve? I think she probably wasn't there at the time, but what a small world! Good idea to change the negatives into digital. I think I'll have to do the same thing!
Happy Birthday Rachel! Enjoy the big 3-0! (I threw myself a party just so I didn't wallow in despair!)
As far as memories of you... Gosh, there are too many to recall. Ok, remember chemistry summer school at Mt. View with Mr. Barker? Those were good times! Swimming on Mesa Aquatics (when you did--but I do remember it!). Lifeguarding at Shepherd with Casey Bowers and singing "That don't impress me much" (for some reason that song sticks out from that summer) and those hideous TYR suits that gave us diagonal tan lines!
Then in college... Friday night dances! They were the best! I loved going with you because you weren't afraid to get hot and sweaty while cutting a rug. Who cared about the guys there, right? Trips to the cabin, box canyon where you cut your feet because you went barefoot. Didn't some guy flash us that time too? Late nights dancing on the hard wood floors.
You've been a great friend over the years and I'm so glad we've kept in touch! Thanks for reminding me of all the memories too! Good times!
Happy Birthday!! (like everyone else said already!)
Anyway - a memory?? I have many. My favorite one was the first summer I met you, 2002 I think it was? I was unemployed, you had the summer off, and we spent so much time being lazy, laying out, going to the malls, going to bahama bucks and best of all going to the spa in Scottsdale to celebrate your birthday that year. Then I got a job and ruined it all, I know but all that fun stuff still happened -just not as much.
So here's to you! Happy Birthday, the big 30 and you still look fabulous! You are one of my best friends to whom I will always be grateful for. I know we will always be best friends, because really, who else would put up with me? :) W
Happy Birthday! My memory is from about two years ago, when things were really "crazy" with the Blake family and we met at Serrano's for dinner and had a really good talk! Since I don't have any sisters of my own, I have to get my fill from freinds and in-laws, and that night I really felt like we were "sisters".
Happy Birthday, Rachel!!
Just wanted to let you know that I am SOOO happy that you are a part of our family and I get to call you "Daughter"! You and Trent fit so well.
It was a wonderful surprise when Trent called asking for a recipe and I found out he was dating seriously. He finally found his Eternal Companion.
Have a wonderful birthday and I hope when you look at the vase, you will remember the lovely time we had during your & Ty's visit(just a first of many)to Oregon!
Love, Sharon
hmmm I fall into the don't know you very well category but I do remember the fabulous sunday school lessons you taught while my teachers were gone, you're such a great teacher and really bring new meaning to the scriptures!
Rachel! What a fun time to find your blog. Happy Birthday!!! My favorite memories of you are junior year in high school in Honor Choir and Cantori, sitting right under Mr. Harris' nose and being CLOSE UP to all of his fun facial expressions - like when he tugged on his eyebrows to tell us we were flat amd of course gave us the "eye" to tell us to quit talking. Your family is beautiful! -- Melanie (Butler) melanievb(at)gmail(dot)com
hey RACHEL, hope you had a special birthday! "thirty, flirty & thriving"...for sure:)!! A memory? well i just think of the reason we became such good friends...getting fat and prego together, talking about and and then the aftermath- hangin out, playing with the babies, watching "anne", and others, 24, Lost, etc...I just hope we can stay close friends forever! You rock! I really look up to you in lots of ways! thanks for being such a great thoughtful friend!
Happy Birthday!
Hmmm. I guess I have to share a memory, right? All my memories of you are being somewhere I've tagged along with Beka to. Trust me, our Cookie Party is going to change all that. Hope you had a great day. :)
Welcome to the 30 club. Happy Birthday!
A fun memory of you is going to the zoo with Beka and her twins in 100 degree weather like 5 weeks after Ty was born. You and Ty were such troopers trudging up the hills and dealing with the heat. And you didn't complain once about being only 5 weeks postpartum! We've had lots of good times since...the SSC, Bunko, VTing.
I don't know you as well as I know Trent but I do remember when I met you at Preston's house. My first impression is how nice you were and also how beautiful! I pictured Trent getting married last out of all our friends(only because he was never that friendly towards us girls and would never let us get to know him), but I realized that night how much a mission really softened him and how different he had become from h.s. I knew you must be a pretty amazing girl to steal his heart! I hope that all came out in a postive way. And Happy 30th birthday! I love reading your blog and I hope all goes well with your pregnancy!
Okay, I tried to post this yesterday on your actual bday but my internet wasnt working so Happy (late) birthday. I hope it was fabulous!
(this is what I typed yesterday)
Happy Happy Birthday to you my darling! Hope your day is wonderful and that you are very SPOILED!
As far as a memory, I remember your 16th birthday and the roses, that was such fun. I remember feeling so nervous and hoping it all worked out okay, and that you felt loved!
One of my first memories of you was, of course, summer school...was it Chemistry? I dont remember, the only parts I remember was how much fun we had. When we first started to hang out, we took walks to Fry's by your house, talked for hours and how could we forget Kyle! I wonder what he is up to! Do you talk to his family at all? I also remember you wanting me to go to WW for High school. Those were the days. You were always a GREAT friend to me and I will always cherish you as a friend.
Happy Bday again woman!!
Post a Comment