Monday, February 11, 2008

A Woman's Work is Never Done

Just as I was leaving for work this morning, Claire called and said she was sick. I couldn't reach my sister and I felt bad calling the neighbors on such short notice, so I decided I would take the day off. That is, I'd take the day off from my paid job. After running to school to write up some lesson plans, I hurriedly returned home so Trent could get to his rotation on time. Since I didn't have the luxury of sleeping in, I hit the ground running today. I absolutely loved spending the morning with Ty... mostly stacking up blocks so he could knock them down, then reading to him for awhile. As soon as he went down for his morning nap, I started to prepare dinner, folded laundry, unloaded the dishwasher, scrubbed some offending spots out of the carpet and even whipped out the ironing board (I hate ironing, it is the bane of my existence). It's amazing how much work I got done when I decided just to do it, full speed ahead. It helped that I had Jane Austin's Persuasion (book on CD) playing in the background. Now, when Ty wakes up, I won't have to share my attention with anything else! Though it doesn't feel like a day off in some ways, it is so refreshing to enjoy my housework instead of squeezing it in just before I collapse into bed. I admit that I may not enjoy housework as much when I am no longer a working mom, but I'm still looking forward to more days like these. My day off as a teacher has been a sweet day of work as a homemaker and a mother!

And by the way...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICHOL!
My beautiful sister turns 36 today! I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful friend and example in my life! I wanted to make her the perfect apron, but ran out of time. Here's what I finished for her in the meantime, while her birthday apron is being finished.

6 comments:

Jill Manning said...

Oooooh, I am lovin me those polka dots...good job on the apron! I am glad that you got a day off so that you could be a mommy and house wife! I hope that this becomes a permanent change of occupation for you in the near future! And I'm sure that Ty loved having his mommmy all to himself for a whole day!

Christie said...

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel...what good does it do to be on the back-up list if I never back-up?

However, I am glad that you had such a pleasant morning and that you were able to get so much done. That must feel good! Have a wonderful afternoon with Ty!

Unknown said...

Ooh, I'll watch that sweet kid anytime! Just drop him off. :)
-Al

Nash said...

Great aprons. My mom made some cute ones at christmas. I'll have to post them.
So nice that you could enjoy a day at home. I hope they are permanent soon. Are you working next year?

The MacMizzles said...

A woman's work is truly never done. Testify to the masses sister.

Sarah Williams said...

Oh what a cute stepford wife outfit! Whenever people say I don't know how you manage working and having kids and taking care of the house I say-
I don't really, the job is a excuse why the house isn't as clean as it should be. Even if I wasn't working it would look the same. At least I' making some $!
My 7 year old just read you title-A womans work is never done- and she says ya it is,when you die. HA! Teach them early.