Sunday, February 24, 2008

On the Mend

It has been a long weekend, but we're finally on the mend. Ty hated his breathing treatments at first and refused to wear the mask, so we had to improvise.
Once we realized the breathing treatments took the same amount of time as a Backyardigans episode, we coaxed him into using the mask. Trent learned at school that toddlers only inhale about 15% of the fumes because they can't consciously breath deeply like adults. But whatever amount he's inhaling, it's working miracles! He gets a minimum of two treatments a day of Albuterol and Pulmicort combined. We'll go in Wednesday for another check up.

In the meantime, I was so worried about Ty that my cold got progressively worse. It turned into a sinus infection, which turned into bronchitis. I stubbornly insisted that I attend Stake Conference today, after missing last night's adult session. Bad idea. Trent took me to Urgent Care as soon as it was over. Thank goodness for good medication. I'd love to take another day off, but my sophomores are taking AIMS on Tuesday and Wednesday this week and tomorrow is the last day I have to help them review for the big test.

Trent and my dad gave me a wonderful blessing tonight. I'm so grateful for the priesthood and the men in my life who are worthy to hold it. I immediately felt relief. Besides that, Trent has been playing Mr. Mom so I can get some rest. Although Ty has watched a few more episodes of Backyardigans than I normally allow in one day, it was a much needed break.

So here he is, my happy, nearly healthy boy who has finally reconnected with his congenial personality. It's so good to have him back.

Dr. Visits = $75
Prescriptions = $100
Breathing machine = don't know, don't care
Healthy, happy baby = Priceless


8 comments:

Nash said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry. Being sick is no fun, especially with kids. I am trying some natural remedies (through my dad who's completely holistic). Vance and I have been on some of these herbs and tinctures, I will post after I have done it for a week or so. And so far so good. Supposedly the only way to get the pure forms of these herbs are through making your own or through dr. schultz. Anyway, Hope you all get better. I will promote this stuff if it proves to be the BOMB.

mad white woman said...

glad ty is getting better... now it's your turn! my neice had to do breathing treatments and her mask was an animal. it was awesome, but i don't think it made it any easier!!

Beka said...

YEA for getting better....please call if you need anything!!

the lambrights said...

i'm glad you and ty are getting better. i'm also glad you have such a good husband to help you out.
alvin and trent just happen to share some not wonderful qualities sometimes. like when alvin teases me and it makes me feel like i have a big brother around again. but i know trent takes care of you and ty like alvin takes care of chloe and i.

Jill Manning said...

This whole ordeal just sounds like the pits, but I am glad that the title of the post is "On the Mends" and not something like, "Only getting worse!" And I love the pic of Ty sitting in front of the t.v., just too cute! I hope you continue to get better and get the needed rest to do so!

The MacMizzles said...

RSV! My baby had RSV, it made me so grateful for modern medicine. No matter what it costs, I am with you on that, it doesn't matter.

I am so glad he is doing so much better. My thoughts are with you. Aubs.

Stacey said...

oh. poor baby. I'm sorry he's going through that and on top of that you've been sick. sick kids are so hard and you feel so helpless sometime. I'm right around the corner so please let me know if you need anything.

Kari said...

I'm so glad Ty and you are feeling better. Justin always tells me "Moms aren't supposed to get sick!" I wish that were true! Gunner does the breathing treatments too. They do work wonders!