Today was an amazing day. Trent and I invited our families to fast and pray with us on behalf of Ty. The support we received from immediate and extended family was truly overwhelming. I felt strengthened from the outpouring of love we received. I was also taught several things.
First, fasting is so much more meaningful when done with fervor and intent. Asking for others to join you in fasting creates an amazing bond between family members and draws even more heavily on the powers of heaven. I truly felt buoyed up by the spirit today from all the prayers that were sent specifically to our home.
Second, I was reminded that I am not alone in tribulation. Several of my aunts and uncles graciously offered their support for Ty while sharing some of their own adversities with me, or concerns for children of their own. How humbling it was to ask and accept their help, but even more humbling to remember that I am not the only one facing challenges. This week the spirit has taught me to look outward more than just focusing internally on my own struggles. Through service I can receive even more blessings while maintaining a proper perspective on my own situation.
Last, I was reminded today that I am not alone. Although many of the tasks of motherhood fall solely on me, I have loving family here on earth to support me, but most importantly I have a Father in heaven who loves me personally and will not leave me comfortless.
Some of my favorite feelings today were those of peace and hope and surrender. While we asked everyone to fast for Ty's ability to communicate more effectively, I almost feel as if I was the primary beneficiary of my families faith. As I surrender my feelings of inadequacy and doubt and exchange them for faith and confidence, I know I am capable of being the person I need to be.
How thankful I am for the power of fasting, prayer, and the love of family.
Here is a link that my mother in law sent me today. I've watched it a few times before and almost feel like I should start every morning by viewing this message.
http://www.youtube.com/mormonmessages?v=WbYLKVgwztY
Sunday, September 05, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
I love that excerpt from Elder Holland! Ty's lucky to have you as parents...and visa versa!
You're awesome Rachel. I need to be more like you.
And after reading this I feel guilty for telling my mom yesterday I was glad I couldn't fast b/c I was pregnant.
Post a Comment