Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Reading

Today was Ty's last day of preschool! (Well, the first round. Two more years to go!) I am very excited to let him sleep in for a few months and hang out in his pj's until noon if he feels like it. He had a very exciting last day at school. They had a water party, treats, and he came home with a thick packet of homework, a CD of music so he can practice his favorite songs from class, and toys/gifts from his teachers and bus drivers. This has been such a fun experience for him. We celebrated by taking him to the Rain Forest Cafe for lunch. He loved the atmosphere there and he actually ate his entire lunch. I'm going to let him enjoy his weekend and hopefully get over the head cold that has been ailing him for a week, but then we're starting our summer routine!

I went to the dollar store and found a cute chart for summer reading. Armed with stickers, a library card, and a few new books that the Book Fairy will bring on June 1st, we are going to do a lot of reading this summer. Ty will get to put a sticker on his chart every day that he reads with me or looks at books on his own for at least 20 minutes. Here are some of Ty's current faves.
This book is a lot of fun because you get to use your pirate voice a lot.
Thanks Alison for introducing us to David Shannon.

We have almost all of the books in this series.
I always get a little choked up reading this particular one.

Every little boy needs this book. Ty practically has it memorized.

This was a hand me down from my sister and it is currently Ty's favorite bedtime story.


Don't tell, but the Book Fairy is bringing these:

I've heard great things about this one.

Thanks Jamie for recommending this one.

We have a few pigeon board books and he is one funny bird!

If you (or your kid) has any favorites, please share! Sometimes when we go to the library without a list, we come home disappointed. I'd love some suggestions!

We also watch a lot of movies during the summer. I've started turning on the subtitles so my kids see the words while they watch the movie. It's easy - just go to settings and you can turn them on.

As for me, I'm in the thick of The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I'll be lucky to finish by the end of summer since it is 752 pages long. :)

Happy reading!

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Love this post. I love the Dinosaur series, we have them all too and Trey has them memorized. So great. I am for sure going to get that Pirate one. My boys would LOVE that one. :)Thanks!

Ben Blake said...

The subtitles on movies/DVD is a great idea. Here is one too: To help them learn another language and to get the language part of their brains going, put the video in Spanish/French. Those seem to be the most common.

Nash said...

hey are you in a book club? i want to read more but just don't push myself.
i LOVE the book THe Cranky Bear. It is just so darn cute. we pick up a few at each school book fair and that has to be my favorite.
we just got Don't take a shark to the Dentist.
Ferdinand is a good one. Where the Wild Things are is a must. Also, vance loves Green Eggs and Ham although I get tired of it. too long and he knows when i skip.

Beka said...

we LOVE the summer reading program- we should meet up at the library sometime- one of the boys summer city classes are there once a week! thanks for listing some books Ty loves- im always so overwhelmed by all the books whenever we used to go, its good to have suggestions--we've read a few of those but not all,and we have a few David Shannon too- some of my boys favorites!!

Nancy Pitney said...

i have the Disney cartoon of Ferdinand--I remember loving watching it as a kid--sorry to say that I've never read the book. (But if Ty ever wants to watch the movie after he's read it, you are welcome to borrow it!)

Mem Fox is a great children's author. I love her books. Westlandia is a cool one (can't remember the author). Oh, and Eric Carle is a great author/illustrator too. I'm sure you know all this, but you asked for suggestions! Good luck with Fountainhead. Have you already tackled Atlas Shrugged? Our book club is supposed to be reading that this summer, we'll see!

The Arizona Blake Family said...

The library is doing a summer reading program...it's for any age. You sign up online and keep track of all the books they read. When you get to certain levels you just go into the library and the kids get prizes. This might be fun to do along with what your doing at home. www.mcldaz.org, the library closest is the Southeast Regional Library.

Rachel said...

Thanks for all the recommendations! We did sign up for the summer reading program, but Ty's too young to really care about their incentives. It's easier if I do it myself from home.

And Nancy, I have read Atlas Shrugged and really liked it. I can't wait to talk about it with you when you finish!

mad white woman said...

We just got our Summer Reading stuff from the library today.

Thanks for these suggestions. I rarely make it to the library with a list, which results in Clara and I grabbing random books off the shelves. So many of them are lame, but there are so many books to choose from!

Lindsay said...

Coming out of lurkdom here... we have several mutual friends and I occasionally take a peek at your blog, hope you don't mind! ;) I love children's books and I can't help myself from buying them. LOL! So I thought I'd chime in with a few of our favorites too.

*The Magic Hat by Mem Fox
*Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo by Kevin Lewis
*Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
*Old Hat, New Hat by Stan Berenstain
*Froggy Gets Dressed (there are several Froggy books) by Jonathan London
*If You Give a Pig a Pancake/Moose a Muffin/Mouse a Cookie books by Laura Numeroff
*Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin
* Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney
*Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

Sonja said...

Ella knows There's a Nightmare in my Closet by heart! She loves, loves it.