Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Mothers Day...in the hospital

A week ago today I started feeling yucky, crampy, and short of breath. I thought it was severe indigestion from the raw fruit/veggie kick I've been on. It came and went and I didn't think much of it. By Friday afternoon I couldn't get out of bed, tend to my children or do anything but lay in the fetal position. Trent hurried home from work and took me to the ER and gratefully, my sister in law came to pick up my kids.

There was a list of 6 or so people ahead of me to be seen in the ER but I was noisy enough from the excruciating pain that I was bumped to the top of the list. We found out that I had a kidney stone and after several hours of morphine when I was still in pain, they decided to admit me. Sadly, I thought kidney stones were for old people so I am feeling particularly glum that I have entered a new realm of health needs. I haven't even needed to see a doctor (except my OB) since I've been married.

Saturday Trent took the kids to the train park in the morning and brought them by to see me afterward. Brooke was quick to snuggle up to me and Ty was curious about all the tubes and wanted my apple juice, of course. Luckily we had already lined up a babysitter since we were supposed to be at the D-backs game Saturday night. Instead of a baseball game, Trent brought me dinner and we snuggled in my hospital bed to watch a movie. A date night to remember!

I had surgery Sunday morning (Happy Mothers Day to me) to blast and remove the stone but was lucky enough to be released that afternoon. Now I am recovering slowly, unable to lift my children or bend over and slightly uncomfortable due to the stent they left in me. It has been such a frustrating time because I'm not good at asking for help and everyone has their own kids, plans, and schedule to worry about. My new ward has been generous in providing us with meals and Trent has been a great Mr. Mom when he's home. I'm crossing my fingers that I am completely independent in the next few days. Thanks so much to those who have offered help by way of meals and child care. I appreciate it more than you know.

Even though it has been a rough week, I still had a sweet mothers day with my own children.
My very first piece of hand crafted mothers day jewelry made by my preschooler. Isn't it beautiful? Trent's gift wasn't too shabby either, but I must say this bracelet was my favorite treasure of the day.

I am so grateful for my usual good health that allows me to meet the needs of my family! And grateful that this will pass sooner than later. I have a new found empathy for women who face long term health challenges while trying to shoulder their responsibilities as wives and mothers.

Happy belated mothers day to all the women who play a nurturing role to anyone else in life.

8 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, I would love to make you dinner if I lived closer!! Poor you! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Christie said...

Oh no! What a bummer of a weekend. I'm sorry all that happened! I've heard that kidney stones are almost equivalent in pain to labor, so that is a double bummer! But it sounds like you have a good attitude about it.

Happy mother's day to you! The bracelet is beautiful. Ty did a great job. :)

or mom said...

Sorry had such a rough weekend. Hope your feeling better. The Son & Daughter Design Company ALWAYS have the best gifts! I have a box full of cards and gifts from them. I cherish each one. Another perk of being a mother.

Jamie said...

Rachel I am sorry to hear this. I hope you feel better soon and get back to your normal routine. Let me know if you need any help with anything. Love ya!

mad white woman said...

Blah! Kidney stones are not cool... but morphine? That's cool. :) I know, I've experienced both. I had my kidney stone when I was I 23, but fortunately, I got to urinate in a funnel to catch mine myself. It was gross at the time, but I'm thinking it was better than having it blasted. Happy recovery!

Nancy Pitney said...

Zach told me about this at swim practice on Monday and then I came home and completely forgot about it! I'm glad to hear the ward is taking care of you. Let me know if you need anything--I can take the kids for a couple hours if that's all you need! Get better soon!

Kimberly said...

Soooo Sorry! I know what you mean. I feel old when I'm pregnant and I think how could I be feeling these things at such a young age. It sucks! It's good you got it taken care of. I've heard stories about kidney stones and they are all ugly!

Crystal said...

Kidney stones aren't just for old people. Kidney stones are also for cute, perky, young-ish blonde girls.