Friday, April 30, 2010

So long, April

We're soaking up the last of the glorious spring weather before the heat takes over. Here are a few more pictures from the month of April.

messy play
My mom brought over a bag full of "boredom busters" which included a squirt bottle and sidewalk chalk. Getting messy is hard for Ty, he doesn't like the feel of messy/gooey/slimy textures and prefers his hands stay clean at all times. I was impressed that he got himself a little dirty on his own.


birds
(because we don't have any chickens around here)
So one of our chickens is actually a rooster. Shows you how much we know about our friendly foul. We will be trading him in shortly for another hen. They both got very sick for a few days but seem to be on the mend. The kids can't get enough of them.

water
Ty started swim lessons with Swim Kids last week. I never in a million years would have thought I'd pay someone else to teach my kids to swim, but swimming is therapeutic for him and the class provides him with more social opportunities. We got a little pool of our own during our family outing this week. As you can see, no one really cares for it.




watermelon
Our first melon of the season. It wasn't the best, but sweet enough to pacify our appetites.

miscellaneous
We were sad to hear from the state today that Ty would not qualify for additional services through long term care. Their criteria is fiercely strict in this economy and he was a few points shy of making the cut. I've sat in on nearly every therapy session he's ever had, so I'm gearing put my memory to use. I already try to implement what I've learned in our daily routines and am happy to keep working with him. Sometimes he just does better when he's working with someone other than family. But at least I've got the smarts to do it myself. For now.

Miss B is officially a sassy, dramatic, and high maintenance girl. If you'd like proof, please come by and witness for yourself. My favorite production this week was when I told her she couldn't have something. She pouted as she willed her body to the couch clear across the basement where she could fling her head down on her hands in utter despair, sobbing with exaggeration and glancing up every few moments to see if I saw how much distress I had put her in. Is this something girls are born with? But when she is not burdened with my militaristic rules of not playing in the toilet and sharing with others, she is quite fun. She loves to drape herself in beaded necklaces and kiss her babies.

Trent is SO busy with work and his new calling that we rarely see him on weeknights. We figure he is repaying the Lord for the myriad of blessings we have received so I'm doing my best not to pout. It's just not as fun around here when he's gone. But I'm so thankful that he is taking such good care of us and makes it possible for me to stay home and raise our kids.

And I find that on the days I feel like I've succeeded as a mother, my house is a disaster. On the days my house stays clean, my kids and I are both a little grouchy. Always looking for that perfect balance...

3 comments:

The Arizona Blake Family said...

I don't think there is such thing as "the perfect balance" when it comes to mothering :) If there's a woman out there that makes you think otherwise I bet there's something amiss in their lives they just don't let anyone else see :) But if you happen to find that perfect balance let me know :) I could use some of that too!

Alison said...

Oh, go for happy kids/filthy house!

Stacey said...

Rachel, thanks for sharing your journey regarding Ty. We are facing some similar issues and I still haven't been able to really talk about it or accept it completely..let alone openly blog about it. It takes time. But, reading your blog gives me comfort and you're doing a great job! I still have a lot to learn but i'm soaking up all the reading and info i can. thanks again.