Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Warrior Mom

Ty helping his dad assemble a wheelbarrow a few weeks ago.

From first glance, you wouldn't necessarily know that Ty has special needs. He's a handsome, tall, and playful kid. If you hang out long enough to hear him talk, you'd recognize that his speech is difficult to interpret. And if you paid even closer attention, you'd notice that he is easily overstimulated, escalates quickly and has a hard time calming down. But to the untrained eye, it's hard to see some of his other difficulties - he slouches, over stuffs his mouth, has a hard time holding a fork, can't grasp a crayon very well and maybe even drools a little.

Once a child who receives state services turns 3, they are terminated from the Department of Developmental Disabilities. Unless there is a clearly defined label such as autism, downs, etc... Kids without such labels often fall through the cracks. The public schools pick up where the state left off, offering special education preschool. The problem, however, is that the same services don't translate from the state program to the schools. Ty received 4 kinds of therapy with the state, now he only receives speech therapy. Obviously I requested more services for him when we enrolled him, hoping to parallel the help he was receiving from the state.

This week Ty's school called to inform me that he likely wouldn't qualify for occupational therapy, so they didn't think it prudent to give him the full evaluation. (Explanation: OT works with Ty on dealing with sensory issues, handling his over-stimulation, building muscle tone, etc...) Even though the woman that observed him read all of his reports from the state and acknowledged that he has low muscle tone, she didn't think he'd qualify for services according to the public schools guidelines. When I questioned her logic, she said that in the public schools he has to show a significant discrepancy before they address the problem. Instead of taking a proactive approach, they want to wait a year so his skills will be even further behind and then they will take a remedial approach. If that's not the lamest rationale I've ever heard...(insert swear words here). When I told Trent about their justification for not helping Ty, he said, "That's like me turning away a diabetic patient and telling him to come back when his disease is more severe." You can bet your arse that I went over the schools head to speak with the head of special ed preschool services. She gave me a very well practiced, politically charged sermon about the specifics of the state law and the fear of being audited and stated that the school wasn't required to help Ty if he can function in his classroom. Can he function in the classroom?

He freaks out when he has to finger paint.
His hands aren't strong enough to use scissors.
Drawing a picture takes ten times as much work for him as a typical kid.
Then he gets frustrated.
Then he becomes aggressive.
And he can't use his words to talk about it.

How would you feel?

We used to think his speech delay was his biggest obstacle. While that aspect is challenging, it is only a part of a bigger obstacle course for him. He has to learn compensatory strategies that will help his body find a balance between hyperactivity and lethargy.

It seems that at every turn, there is a battle I have to fight on his behalf. I am hopeful that his team of teachers and therapists will provide him with every service he deserves. I am willing to sit in meeting after meeting with a smile on my face but an unwavering request that they offer him every service he deserves. I'm not sure they know what kind of a mom they're dealing with, but they'll learn soon enough.

In the meantime, a representative from the state's long term care program came to interview us to determine eligibility for further state therapy. I know Ty is borderline, again partially because he is a gray area kid that doesn't have a specific label. We find out what their decision is in two weeks. Our former therapists have even held a spot for him in their schedules, while I hold my breath waiting for results.

The older he gets, the harder it becomes to make up for his lost time. But in my quietest moments, when I take a break from worrying and turn my heart to the Lord, I know that He will provide for my little boy. And those moments of peace help me work through all the unknowns.

And now as I said concerning faith - faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.
Alma 32:21

7 comments:

Nash said...

oh rachel,
i am so sorry, what a mess.
you are obviously more educated in this than i, but are there non public schools that offer help?
i think vance's teacher would be amazing with him but i don't know her qualifications (she is a cert. teacher) in these areas. BUT she is SO PATIENT! she is really amazing.
you are very strong. i didn't realize all of the areas he was struggling in.
he really is ADORABLE. i think that with every picture i see. i think mary davis is a speech therapist? let's do lunch please.

Melissa said...

OH MAN! I brain was steaming reading that!!! Makes me soooo upset. I think we have mentioned in class a few times that schools hate to take it to court, so maybe you can always threaten that if worse comes to worse. Or maybe get a "diagnosis" a "label" that way the school gets their precious money that they want to help a child succeed. Oh my heavens. I swear if I still lived in Mesa I would march down there with you! Such a blessing you have a background in special education. Keep us updated!!!

Nancy Pitney said...

It's amazing the strength and courage you can find for your kids huh? It makes me wonder about all the parents I worked with that didn't want help for their kids--are they crazy? It saddens me to think that because of politics people won't do what's best for the kids. Don't get me started or my post will be even longer than the first two! You have way more faith than I do--I hope everything works out!

Kari said...

You go momma! I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Sometimes it is much easier to have a "label" on your child in order to get services. I have also had to "fight" for certain therapies& programs for Caleb even though he does have a label. I wish I could say it gets easier but as the parent, you always have to fight for what you feel is right for him. You will know best. Don't let anyone tell you what they think is best for him.

I have a few tricks up my sleave regarding LTC if they do deny him. If you want or need any help, I'd love to help you. Good luck and know you are an amazing Momma! Love ya girl!

The Arizona Blake Family said...

You are definitely a warrior mom! I don't know if I could have handled standing up and being so persistent to get what my child needs. I think I would have had a breaking point! I truly admire you!

LucyH said...

He is a very handsome little boy! And your are right, I would have never thought he had those challenges. But you are a good mom and you seem to know the steps it takes. I would be so lost in knowing what to do!

Anonymous said...

I served in Russia with Trent, and my wife was a special ed teacher in the preschool and kindergarden SPICE programs in Gilbert. Please call her and discuss your situation, she may be able to help you navigate the buearacracy. Her number is 480-296-3526, and her name is Jen.