We moved into our new home 6 weeks ago. Here are a few things I've learned.
A backyard is the best thing that has ever happened to Ty Anderson Blake.
Moving 20 minutes away still feels like moving to another state. At least for a few weeks.
I had really, really good friends in my last neighborhood. I still miss them. A few weeks ago I had a little meltdown and told Trent I wanted to move back into the condo. Temporary lapse of judgment (as far as the condo goes) but still missing my friends.
I have some really, really good friends in Gilbert that I'm much closer to now, and I love seeing more of them. Especially my therapist, Sonja :).
Someone in my new ward took the initiative to call me and introduce herself, then set up a play date with us. It was so needed, appreciated, and very humbling. I must remember to be that someone later on when I know there is a new person in the neighborhood.
My mom still comes to visit regularly. Thank goodness.
A backyard is an asset to a good marriage. Trent and I have worked side by side (sometimes I'm merely admiring him working) to clean up our yard, plant trees, prepare a garden, etc... I love that working together strengthens our relationship.
Cable is over rated. Though we do miss DVR, we still get to watch Jack Bauer and Jack Shepherd on Hulu. Not only are we saving a significant amount of money, we are spending that time working on projects. (I admit that we will probably eventually get cable again one day, but I like that the TV is rarely on at our house.)
If you volunteer for something at church, suddenly everyone has your number. It's my own fault really, but I was feeling out of touch with the new ward and told the RS President to put me to work. So far this week I've taken dinners to new moms and have just been put in charge of the relief society dinner taking place next week. That'll teach me to open my mouth. :)
I'd rather not work anymore. My 5 hour a week job is getting in the way of my full time mom duties. And the commute is a bit ridiculous.
I exercise more for my sanity than to try to reshape myself into a trophy wife. Which will never happen. Brooke and I take a long bike ride nearly every morning. Though it doesn't burn as many calories as running, it clears my head and I love to hear her giggle and jabber about the scenery.
I can't furnish and decorate my house as quickly as I would like, but it's slowly starting to feel like home regardless.
I will sweep the pergo flooring multiple times a day. I refuse to mop it every night. I may not even mop it if you come to visit me. Consider yourself warned.
Garages are almost as cool as backyards. Never had one before.
Trent is really good at teaching himself how to fix things. Though I'm pretty sure we dropped a grand at Lowe's the first week we lived here, he has saved us a small fortune reading up on how to repair sprinkler systems, electrical and plumbing issues, and he even fixed the garage door.
I have become a little lackadaisical since marrying Trent and often wait for him to fix everything. Now I want to figure out how to do things myself. Last Saturday I asked him to teach me how to air up my bicycle tires and use the power drill. I have a list of things for him to teach me so I can be more handy at home. Especially since he's working more lately.
When you spend most of your savings to buy a house, of course your vehicle will start to have problems. That's just the way it works.
Kids don't care how big or small your house is, they just want you to play with them.
Change is hard. And good. And exhausting. Especially for a 3 year old. And his mom.
Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Wow, lots of changes going on in your family's life. I'm so glad that you have a backyard now. I was so excited when we finally got one too!
Good for you learning how to "fix" more things around the house! I just discovered that I can watch a "how-to" video on youtube or expert village on anything. I was just looking up how to replace the rotors on a van. Ahem, I'm not going to do that myself, I just wanted to see if Trevor could learn how to do that from this video.
whoops, that last comment from me.
i'm game for playdate next thurs or Fri- either one is good with us. We can come there if you want, probably mid morning? just let me know!!
I'm with you on the floor mopping. I don't think I've mopped since we've moved here! Granted we have carpet throughout at this point, but those tiled bathroom floors are probably in some real need of a mopping!
Post a Comment