Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Kew

I haven't had my camera out much lately. But some family festivities will be upon us soon and I'm sure I'll redeem myself as an overzealous photographing maniac.

Ty's new favorite word is cool. Or kew, as he pronounces it. He'll build something with blocks, then admire his work and remark, "kew." He'll see an airplane flying low in our neighborhood and matter of factly proclaim, "kew!" I love that he says it with bravado, as if each incidence that elicits the word from his mouth was something truly remarkable.

Ty turns 3 in the spring. I have been dreading this birthday for a while. Not because I don't want him to grow up (though I'd rather him stay little) but because he will age out of AzEIP, the state program that has been supplying us with therapists and support. We are in the process of his transition meetings and his case manager is encouraging us to put him on a special bus (short bus jokes just aren't funny when they apply to your kid) to send him to special ed preschool at a school not too far away. I have so many reservations about this program because 1) I'm not ready to put him on a bus, even if it is equipped with car seats and 2) there are no typical preschoolers in this program. Every student has a special need of some kind. But Ty has been thriving in his neighborhood preschool with typical peers that speak well.

So I find myself praying multiple times a day, whether on my knees, in the car, or just in my head as I watch him play - pleading for some direction and peace of mind. One thing I know for sure...with a little divine inspirtation, Trent and I will make the best choice for him because we are his parents and we know what he needs more than anyone else.

Kew.

4 comments:

or mom said...

Kew - I second that. :-)

Melissa said...

Hello. I have been reading your blog here and there for some time. I found it through Summer Driggs. Anyways, my major at UA is Special Education and we have been learning about the laws and IEP's and stuff like that. I was hoping you could give me an idea of what aging out of AZIEP means. I am curious because I thought IEP's were mostly considered for children beginning at the age of 3 and on.

Hope my questions aren't too intruding. But thanks for your time. Love your blog entries!

-Melissa

mad white woman said...

What tough decisions, but glad you have the comfort of knowing you are entitled to the promptings you need.

I don't know what school you are talking about, but it sounds a lot like a program that a friend of mine sent her son to and another one will most likely send her son to in January. The one that has already done it loved it and everyone that knows her son saw an enormous improvement.

Ben said...

I love it ! - Kew.

I would go with whats working.

Having him socialize with other as he is doing is the best way. Kids can "sense" when they aren't view as 'normal'.

Wish we can come see you guys. or maybe you all can road trip?

~Ben