
I have been racking my brain trying to come up with ideas for FHE with a toddler. Usually we sing a few primary songs, watch a movie together, have prayers and call it good. Once the weather is nicer, I've got a few ideas up my sleeve, but not too many. Ty is old enough for nursery this week (yipee!) and I thought I'd pick up the
new nursery manual to use as our FHE foundation. It must be good because the lady at Deseret said they sold out pretty quickly and I left empty handed. In the meantime, we made our own fun again today. A quick trip to Home Depot and $6 later, we had fun watching cars, balls, and other small objects roll down the tube. Good thinking, daddy! (By the way, if I owned photoshop, I wouldn't exist in this picture.)
So, I'd love a few suggestions...on various topics. Here are a few questions I have for you - the regular readers and those who happen to pass by our blog for the next few days.
1) What are some fun (and somewhat successful) FHE's you've held with your toddler?
2) Have you been to any good farmers markets in the East Valley?
3) What are your favorite fall recipes?
11 comments:
Well, as far as FHE we really do just what you do, minus the movie. The songs on LDS.org are great, Syd loves them, and I too was really excited to get the Nursery manual full of great new ideas! Sprouts is the farmers market we went to while we were there (Higley and Southern), and as far as recipes, I don't really cook, BUT I have found a great banana bread recipe if you'd like it. Good all year long in my book. :)
Come visit me when you have a free day and I'll show you all my FHE's. I have a ton! Honestly, I have made so many. I got a lot of the ideas on-line and through "The Friend" magazine. Also, the church has a new nursery manual out and it's awesome. The lessons work great for FHE's. Let me know if you want it and I will email it to you.
You look good, don't photoshop yourself out, ever.
A girl in my ward has FHE for each month that I can get emailed right to me, but I have done nothing.
We sometimes just watch a church video, like we did tonight. It's so hard as long as there are little ones who don't want to sit still. The manual is a good idea, short sweet message. I have some cut out that i laminated, sometimes I pull them out. I need to just do better all around with that.
Farmers market on Greenfield and main? Also, the one by me, Main and just past Signal Butte.
recipes-i look at food blogs.
Jenny flake from HS, pickypalate is good. I have some on my blogroll, I like them all. Let's go to lunch I tell you!
Now is not the time for deep spiritual conversations. The only thing you're doing right now is teaching him what happens on Monday night. Sing a song, say a prayer, show him pictures of Jesus and ask questions. Sing another song, and say the closing prayer. As he gets older, you can add more, but he'll still know how to sit still and listen and participate.
I've done flannel board scripture stories(minus the flannel board, I just tape them to the TV - well, I let the kids tape it to the TV to get them involved) and got a ton of them at this website:
http://www.fastq.com/~jbpratt/lds/resources/scriptures.html
They have scripture stories from the Old and New Testaments, Book of Mormon and D & C. They also have other ideas on that page as well. I haven't even looked at everything there yet, but it's my resource for FHE.
Also, you can access the nursery manual online at lds.org. I've already checked that out too, it looks pretty great.
I know a penny is a bargain, but I'm happy to talk for free. :)
If we don't have company, our typical FHE with Clara goes like this: song, prayer, five or so lines with a picture (Christ, temple, etc.), song, prayer. Conclusion? No suggestions, I need some for myself. :)
Farmer's market: I go to Superstition Ranch Market all the time (usually about 4 times a month). They have one on Main between Higley and Greenfield. Their produce is significantly cheaper than anywhere I've ever seen. Especially their berries. You have to be careful and examine your produce. Sometimes I'll buy two weeks at a time and just save the "harder" or root veggies for the end of my time. It is a little bit white trash and there are always herds of people. They also have one on Main and Meridian, which is much cleaner and I think they actually have A/C (I think the other must be a swamp cooler). It is laid out nicer, not as many people but also not as many berries. Also, that one has a "bargain" area that has produce that's going bad for super cheap. Yesterday I actually bought a box of peaches to can (yes, many are bruised, but seriously, the WHOLE box was $4) and a GIANT box of bananas for $2.50. Many of them are still edible and I am just going to freeze them for smoothies and banana bread. I would say that one, unless you have another reason to be out that direction, wouldn't be worth it for you.
And because my comment isn't long enough, here's what I purchased at SSRM yesterday:
box of peaches
box of bananas
four peaches (i forgot to put back after I got the box)
two heads of green leaf
bunch of spinach
bunch of cilantro
bunch of green onions
two large yellow onions
large bunch of broccoli
4 beautiful red bell peppers (4/$1... but not always beautiful, sometimes you get lucky)
large honeydew
2 lb bag of carrots
10 baby avocados (ps, they are little baby ones and they even have little baby seeds, so 7/$1 is a good deal)
my total? $16.56
Isn't is amazing how creative we are when we have a toddler to entertain! What smart parents you are!! Plus Ty can run off some of that energy going up and down the stairs so mommy can take a break and just watch.... right?
Also, I am making a formal request that you post the pear butter recipe. That stuff is DIVINE!
I don't have any suggestions about FHE's, Sprouts is the farmer's market we go to - Gilbert and Brown, and my mom's cookbook has a ton of stuff I love for fall including chicken noodle soup and dinner in a pumpkin.
And, I have Photoshop but I would have no clue how to take myself out...maybe you can show me and I will give you photoshop in return!
Superstition Market b/n Greenfield and Higley on Main. You can't miss it. There are always lots of neon posters outside advertising. I just left there the other day with loads of produce for $15!
You look super cute! What a great idea for FHE! One that we are planning on doing is Lehi and Tree of life. Tie a string to a fake tree in your house and tie fruit to the tree (or bags of apple slices). Tell Ty different things we can do to make it back to Heavenly Father and 'hold to the rod!' Have fun!!
Post a Comment