Thursday, May 08, 2008

Road Trip

My colleague and dear friend, Craig (who is a woman...hey, we don't choose our own names) convinced me to play hookie with her and a few other colleagues today to take a road trip to Globe, AZ. When she first proposed the idea, my response was probably similar to the expression on your face when you read Globe, AZ. Um, people don't usually go there on purpose, they just pass through. Well, after a little coaxing, I reluctantly agreed. (I have very few sick days, and they are reserved for dire illness or Ty emergencies.) But this woman has spoiled me in many ways including this when Ty was born and this for Christmas. Going to Globe for the day was the least I could do for her.

Much to my dismay, Craig is retiring this year. She is also turning 50 on Saturday. One of her many talents is crafting, and she has created this display (below) to depict important events and aspects of her life at this crossroad. She plans to live to 100, so her 50th birthday is a chance to celebrate her first half of life and switch gears for the second half.


The only thing missing in this display is Jesus. Though we are not the same religion, she is a very spiritual person and wanted to display the power of Jesus in her masterpiece. For the last few months, she has been looking for a small, plastic Jesus figurine to complete her project. She was absolutely certain, we could find a "plastic, dashboard Jesus" in Globe, AZ.


So we loaded up this morning, seven of us, and started our journey. We found some antique stores in Miami, and stopped to see what they had. Sure enough, at our second stop, I heard her squeal, "I found Jesus, and he's perfect...literally!" I couldn't help but laugh. We went on to Globe, checked out some more antique stores, and had a delicious lunch at a local dive.

She wants to make shirts that say, "I found Jesus in Miami, AZ."


If you would have told me that one of my best friends in life would be 20 years my senior, I would have laughed at you. Thank goodness for friends who inspire you to be spontaneous, defy your age - whatever it may be, put aside reason, and go hunting for a plastic dashboard Jesus.

7 comments:

The Parkers said...

He he. What a good story. My very best friend is one year older than my mom, so yeah, I know what you mean.
Why oh why does Craig have a skeleton in her mural? Is she a biology teacher?

Val and Wendy Shumway said...

Sweet plastic Jesus...Did you pick one up for yourself?

Kari said...

That was a funny story. I love the making the t-shirt of "I found Jesus in Miami, Az" idea. That's great! How are you feeling? Better I hope!!

morgan larsen said...

that is such a fantastic story. the fact that you ditched work, went all of the way to Globe (which I actually have driven all of the way on purpose myself in order to go eat at the Burger House) and spent time hunting down Jesus is fantastic. i absolutely live for the plastic dashboard Jesus moments in my life, this totally made my day!

Auburn said...

That is just funny. A hunt for a plastic dashboard Jesus. I didn't even know there was a Miami, AZ. Shows you how many times I've left the valley, huh?

Sarah Williams said...

THAT AWESOME! we only get better with age, right? thats my new 30 year old mantra. i should have myself convinced before i turn 31

Pace & Gwen said...

That is a great story - you're a really good writer, you know that?? I love good friends - whatever age, too. My oldest sibling just turned 50, so needless to say I feel really comfortable relating to people the age of... my in laws - really! :) Keeps my life interesting.