This is what Trent looks like these days...if we even get to see him. Last week he started his 5th rotation, General Surgery, at the Maricopa Medical Center. He has to report to the hospital by 4:30 each morning and typically gets home between 7 and 9pm. He has been putting at least 15 hours a day in. Thankfully he got Thanksgiving off! He will get about 10 days off over Christmas, and will go back in January to work the graveyard shift. Strangely, that shift will be better because it will only be 12 hours long with less of a workload. Even though he's learning a lot, it's his most challenging rotation so far. Besides the sheer exhaustion, some of the surgeons have a god complex and are very condescending. It's been difficult for us to go so long without seeing Trent, but of course it will pay off in the end. Some days, Ty doesn't get to see him at all.
Ty has just gotten over a month long cold and is currently teething, so I'm the lucky parent on duty at night these days. I'm so grateful for my mom who has been keeping Ty an extra hour occasionally so I can nap or get things done around the house. My sweet sister has also extended an open invitation to hang out at her house when I'm feeling lonely. Kim invites me to go jogging nearly every evening, with Ty of course. Beka calls every day to check on me, and several others have offered to watch Ty, plan play dates, or meet me at the mall to help me survive this rotation. I'm so lucky to have such great friends! Thanks for all the support!





9 comments:
i'm secretly glad b/c it means i get more "rachel/ty time":)
crappy days... if ever you want to come sew - please come over. paige would be so happy to entertain Ty. And he grew up while we were out of town - how did that happen? He looks like a little man!
by the way... I love the new header. I assume it was a photo from Chel's sis? so cute!
You poor thing! It's so hard to be without your best friend for so long! Hope he gets to call you at least when he's on break at the hospital!
I'm so glad you have a great support network close at hand!
You are more than welcome to come hang out over here for a while!!!
-Al
I feel for you! I don't think Ellie saw her dad more than 10 minutes a day for the first 7 months of her life because of Rob starting his own business and then having school at night. We're all much happier with his new regular hour job and no more saturday work and the semester ending in another week! Good luck!!
ugh, there have been far too many days this semester jason hasn't seen clara and a few times he didn't see her for a few days in a row. i will be excited for you when it's over. :) oh, and as far as surgeons, one of my old clients that insures most of the dr.s in az said, "surgeons have to be arrogant. not everyone is confident enough to cut into some and operate on their heart!" i'm sure it doesn't make it any easier for trent but it's an interesting thought! hang in there!
I'm so sorry this is such a hard time for you guys. We are definitely here if you need ANYTHING!
SO hard. Poor Trent - we'll fix him up good. Soon. Anyway, school's out this week, so call me if you want to hang out. I have FAR much more time...
Post a Comment