Friday, September 21, 2007

6 months old!

Ty's two bottom teeth actually broke through this week. They've been taunting him for over a month now! (I couldn't get him to sit still for a better picture.)

Ty is rocking back an forth on his knees quite a bit. When he tries to move, it's always backwards. I'm not ready for a crawler yet, so I don't mind if he takes his time figuring out how to go forward!

He can sit up all by himself...for up to a minute. Claire is especially good about helping him practice this skill!

By the way, I broke out these jammies last night after it rained. A little rain was all I needed to get out his warmer clothes...just wishful thinking, I know. These jammies are for a 9 month old. The whole family went to my doctor yesterday and he measured in at 29" tall and 21 lbs. He's grown two inches since our last check up! Next week we see the pediatrician, I'm anxious to see what percentage he's in now.

He'd much rather drink from my cup than his own. Dr. Pepper, the sweet nectar of life, is good for any age, right? Don't worry, he didn't actually get any!

Can you believe he's 6 months old already?

In other news:

Trent's preceptor has been quite impressed with Trent and offered him a job after he graduates. Trent isn't sure he wants to do family practice (not as lucrative as specialty practices), but it's nice to know he has an option. Trent works so hard at school. The only time he has taken a day off since June 2006 (when he began), was the day after Ty was born. And he still went in that day to take a test, he just didn't stay for classes. Yesterday, he went in late because we all unexpectedly needed to see the doctor, but other than that he never misses! I'm trying to talk him into playing hookie our anniversary weekend, but I don't think I'll be successful.

I'm currently in the process of applying to teach at the collegiate level. I'd like to be able to teach from home (online classes) or part time at a community college. It's all about who you know, and I don't know a lot of important people at this level so it may take some time for me to get an in. My goal is to shift over towards the end of this year so I don't have to sign a contract with MPS next year. I'd much rather work from home so I don't have to leave my sweet boy everyday. Wish me luck!

14 comments:

Nash said...

I hope you are able to work from home, how great would that be? I sometimes feel like twice a week out of the house would keep me more sane, but then I'm sad to leave. I saw a family with 17 kids on the today show, and she homeschools them. I would be on Prozac.
That's awesome for your husband. Mine is going to be applying to Midwestern soon, ugggh I am so not looking forward to the years ahead.

mad white woman said...

rachel, this is beka's friend anna (i'm the pig that ate all of the bean dip that one night at bek's house...) anyway, sorry to be nosey but i enjoy reading your blog every now and then. for what it's worth, one of my good friend's husbands does online classes for UOP, i think, or one of those online colleges. he loves it and i know it pays well and when i asked her about it she said for him, they really just required a masters. if you want, i can ask her more about it, let me know. working from home, in my opinion, is THE BEST.

Christie said...

I love that picture of Ty almost drinking out of the straw. He looks so grown-up. Congrats on cutting the first two teeth...I think the first ones are the hardest.

Unknown said...

Don't worry about the Dr. P. It'll just help him grow hair on his chest! Way to go, Trent. Keep up all that hard work. I want to be able to come visit you at your summer home in the Hamptons some day.
-Al

Linz said...

Awww it seems like you just had him Rach! He is so yummy and getting cuter and cuter! Im with you on the crawling thing, the longer the better!! He's so fun!

Beka said...

i love those jammies- my boys had 3-6mo size of those...they are the cutest! thanks for all the clothes ty has grown out of! he is so advanced...Ty has disproved some peoples theory that "skinny babies crawl sooner", b/c he is well on his way- he's definitely not a lazy baby...i just love watching him do his push-ups, he's such a cutie, i cant wait till they all get bigger together, it will be so fun!!

Auburn said...

My sister-in-law teaches on-line from home for Chandler-Gilbert Community College. Let me know if you want me to put her in touch with you!!

Lopez-kids said...

I just want to eat him up! He is so cute!! I love the snuggly PJs! There is something about a baby in those jammies. So snuggly! Okay, now I want to go wake up my baby so I can hold her in her cute jammies! :-)

Jennie said...

Cute jammies!

Working from home is hard too. It has its perks and downs, just like anything in life. Working from home works best if you have your "set" time when you'll work and when you're "not working" and try to keep it the same everyday. Otherwise you'll end up never separating yourself from being at home and not working...constantly feeling that you need to do MORE because you're right there. Well, I guess that is just how it was for me.

I'm sure you'll manage it all well and then you'll be able to enjoy your boy at home!

lrbodine said...

That's great on Ty's little teeth! Ellie did the rocking on the hands and knees for a week and is mastering a pretty good tummy crawl now. I'm amazed at how fast she has gotten with each day. Good luck!

Cara Fish said...

yea for trent! and, i'm sorry, but ty wins cute baby award.

Toots said...

wow, you two are one powerhouse couple! You with your teaching masters degree, Trent with his Medical degree. I am so happy for you both! And Ty 's teeth are so great! Yay for the Blakes!

the Painters said...

That was me, Sarah Painter

KAT said...

He has teeth so soon! Abigail has yet to earn hers.